Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Spennymoor Town 1-0 Iron

26 March 2024

Match Reports

Report: Spennymoor Town 1-0 Iron

26 March 2024

Scunthorpe were undone again in the north-east in an evening including some bizarre decisions that were awarded for and against both sides.

The Iron returned to the north-east for a highly anticipated encounter with top of the form table Spennymoor Town. Scunthorpe came into the fixture with hopes of increasing their recent winning run to four consecutive games as manager Jimmy Dean’s side chase league leaders Tamworth. The only previous meeting between the two sides had been a thrilling fixture for United as they ran out resounding 6-0 victors.

In regard to team news, Dean made three alterations to the starting XI that completed a professional job against Warrington at the weekend. Firstly, star man Cal Roberts returned to the starting line-up following a lengthy hamstring injury. Elsewhere, recent addition Kai Corbett came in to make his first start in claret and blue in order to replace fellow loanee Flynn Clarke, who dropped to the bench. Lastly, Iron skipper Michael Clunan regained the armband for the night in place of Tom Pugh, after claiming his first goal for the club on Saturday from the bench.

Midfield maestro Jacob Butterfield got the game underway for the visitors and in doing so kickstarted a ruthless Iron onslaught across the opening periods of play. Throughout those exchanges, Butterfield was pressing like a man possessed and when he received the ball on the edge of the area courtesy of a Danny Whitehall lay-off, the veteran made no mistake when beating his man, however he found his shot parried away by goalkeeper Brad James.

Despite Scunthorpe’s fast tempo start, the hosts were not to be forgotten with their superb recent form and sent a reminder to their opposition 15 minutes into affairs. A seemingly lacklustre cross was floated in from the Spennymoor left-back, in an attempt to send the cross back to wear it came from centre-half Max Kouogun stretched out a leg to meet the ball and proceeded to flick it towards his own goal as it cannoned back of the post.

As the half progressed, Scunthorpe continued to have the fairer share of the spoils although all visiting attendees were becoming more and more frustrated with the officiating. However, United brushed off the decisions to craft another opportunity for Butterfield on the edge of the area as he recreated his prior chance by sending his effort into the strong palms of James. 

As first period action drew to its conclusion, United were presented with their best chance to obtain the lead at the most crucial moment. An exquisite through ball from Butterfield found the disguised run of Roberts down the right-flank, as Roberts strode into the area unopposed he chose to go it alone as he stung an effort across goal that was sublimely denied by the outstretched palm of James to end proceedings.

As the sides returned to the field of play, Scunthorpe began the second period at the same tempo as the first, pressing at every opportunity was bound to bear fruit eventually and it did so no more than five minutes in. A delicately forged move from end to end was soon sprayed out wide to Reagan Ogle, the Australian’s first time cross was perfectly placed into the feet of Butterfield who thundered his effort against the bar. The loose ball spiralled into the air and somehow landed in the bottom corner, as Scunthorpe celebrated the referee proceeded to call for a prior foul that only he had seen in the entire ground.

After having the opening goal disallowed, the Iron were left distraught mere minutes later as following a seemingly obvious foul on Butterfield, the Moors broke and found themselves in with a chance. The recovering run of Ogle was good, however his back pass to goalkeeper Ross Fitzsimons put the shot stopper under enormous pressure and he was dispossessed leaving McKeown with an open goal to make it 1-0.

Now being a goal down against the run of play the Iron were made to fight frantically for an equaliser, however they were made to wait until the 75th minute for their opportunity. A delicious corner cross from Butterfield fell sweetly onto the foot of Andrew Boyce who struck the ball with might and intent, but it crashed against the bar again to United’s dismay.

And after a further 15 minutes of intense suspense, it was to be all she wrote at Brewery Field with the final score ending in a disappointing 1-0 defeat.

IRON: Fitzsimons, Ogle, Kouogun, Boyce, Clunan (Elliott, 77), Roberts (Sembie-Ferris, 65), Butterfield, Scales, Corbett (McAlinden, 65) Denton, Whitehall.

IRON SUBS: Pugh, Clarke.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account