Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 3-2 Solihull Moors U18s

3 November 2022

The Iron Under-18s progressed to Round Two of the FA Youth Cup following a five-goal thriller in the second half at Glanford Park against Solihull Moors. Finn Abraham, Tyrell Sellars-Fleming and Harrison Poulter (penalty) saw United progress.

Professional development phase coach Rob Watson told Iron Player: "We knew a lot about them and that they'd be tough opposition. Any team that gets through to this round is, so we're delighted with the win.

"It was tough all the way through to the end, but ultimately it was two good sides battling for it and we took it today.

"I was a little disappointed with the lads in the first half but me and Andy (Butler, Youth Development Phase Coach) had a good chat with them at half-time and felt when we came out for the second half we were better and more like we have been in previous games."

There was a cagey start from both sides, with chances few and far between in the opening 25 minutes. Scunthorpe goalkeeper Owen Foster was called into action early, as he came out to meet and gather a low cross from the right.

There was a glorious chance for the Iron to take the lead in the 31st minute as Josh Robertson stormed into the box on the left and fired a low cross across the six-yard box. The ball was only half-cleared to Harvey Cribb on the edge of the box, with his ferocious effort going wide of the post.

Nathaniel Wallace then came forward on the left side of the box, but his shot took a deflection into the side-netting.

Soon after, there was a shout for a penalty to the Iron as Charlie Burden-Whittleton was kicked as he won a race to the ball. The Iron right-back tried to stay on his feet before hitting the deck but the referee was uninterested.

With 38 minutes gone, Sellars-Fleming received the ball on the edge of the box following a cutback from the left. He angled a low right-footed effort goalwards, but the strike was comfortably saved by Jack Myatt.

Three minutes later, Robertson won a free-kick for the Iron on the left side. The ball into the box wasn’t dealt with by Solihull, with an eventual overhead kick from Harry Elliott-Bell flashing just wide of Myatt’s left-hand post.

On 42 minutes, there was another chance for the Iron as Sellars-Fleming beat the offside trap from a superb through ball and nipped in ahead of the goalkeeper. He cued the effort just wide of the far post with Myatt narrowing the angle.

Early in the second half, Mason Platts had a speculative shot on goal from range for Solihull, with Foster watching the ball comfortably sail clear of his goal.

In the 52nd minute, Sellars-Fleming held up play and turned before shifting the ball wide-right to Elliott-Bell. His cross saw Myatt backpedal, with the ball landing on the roof of the net and out for a goal kick.

Six minutes later, following a free-kick to United, Robertson headed an effort over the bar.

There was a big chance for the Iron on the hour mark as Poulter raced away down the left. He fed Sellars-Fleming who turned and saw his shot blocked before Wallace had his follow-up beaten away by Myatt.

Three minutes later, Wallace was again denied by Myatt as he skipped past a player on the edge of the area on the right before his curling effort was well grasped.

That particular player came off in the 65th minute, with Under-16 scholar Edward Devine replacing him.

A minute later, play was spread right to Elliott-Bell, who took one touch before firing a powerful shot from 30-yards which flashed just wide of Myatt’s right-hand post.

Then, the Iron almost had an opening for Sellars-Fleming after good work from Devine. The blocked effort fell to Charley Strouther, who saw his shot blocked behind for a corner.

From the resultant corner, Abraham rose highest, connecting with a header, with the ball going in off the post to give the Iron the lead.

On 70 minutes though, Moors won a penalty and Leo Wood converted from the spot, with Foster guessing the right way but unable to save it.

Nevertheless, the lead was regained in the 83rd minute when, from nearly conceding at one end, the Iron broke with pace, with Robertson getting the ball and sending a ball forward for Sellars-Fleming. His low cross to Poulter was intercepted, but he picked up the pieces before sweeping the ball home from close range.

Three minutes later, Scunthorpe won a penalty following superb play from Poulter following a ball over the top. He got goal side, gained possession and then was tripped.

The finish from the spot was cool as you like from Poulter, who dusted himself down to send the goalkeeper the wrong way for the Iron's third of the night.

However, with a minute of normal time left there was a goal back for the visitors as a low shot crept into the net.

The visitors came close to forcing extra time in the third minute of stoppage time, when the ball was cleared to the edge of the box, with an effort flashing just wide of the target.

The Iron managed to hold on for victory though and will travel to either Barnsley or Spennymoor Town in Round Two of the competition on a date to be confirmed.

Watson added: "It's another game unbeaten and something we're really pleased about. I told the lads to enjoy the occasion but manage their emotions. Playing at the stadium, under the lights and in front of their family and friends is different and takes some adjustment but we came out in the second half and did a lot better.

"With the FA Cup this year we've had to get through two qualifying rounds, which is new to the club, but the lads' attitude and application has been excellent.

"It was brilliant to see the fans here supporting the lads. We got the job done and got ourselves into the next round. Whoever we get, we will go there to try and win."

IRON U18s: Foster, Burden-Whittleton (Cunningham, 97), Strouther, Elliott-Bell, Abraham, Pike, Wallace (Devine, 65), Robertson, Poulter, Sellars-Fleming, Cribb.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Oxborough, Dawson, Larkin, Giles, Gregory.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account