We bring back an annual tradition, as club historian John Staff poses 50 Christmas teasers to test the grey matter of Iron supporters. How many will you know? Get started below.
1. Which trophy did Scunthorpe United win during the 2021-22 season?
2. Name the three EFL teams to visit Glanford Park for pre-season 2022-23 friendly games.
3. Which match was postponed as a mark of respect following the passing of Queen Elizabeth II?
4. Who is Scunthorpe United’s number 25, on loan from Blackpool?
5. Who made his Scunthorpe United scoring debut as a substitute against Dorking Wanderers?
6. Which manager celebrated his guiding of Scunthorpe United’s return to League One in 2014?
7. Which Iron player of 2022-23 has previously played for St Johnstone and Melbourne Victory?
8. The death of which former Scunthorpe United player-manager of 1981-83 has sadly been announced recently?
9. Who scored United’s opening goal of the 2022-23 season against Yeovil Town?
10. Who scored 23 goals for the Iron during the 2013-14 League Two promotion-winning season?
11. Which former Iron has been in charge of the keeper’s gloves in 2022-23 at Notts County?
12. Which team did United’s Under-18s team beat 3-2 in the First Round of the FA Youth Cup in 2022-23?
13. Who converted a penalty kick when United drew 3-3 against Aldershot Town earlier this season?
14. Which former Iron notched 23 goals for Stockport, in assisting the Cheshire club back to the EFL?
15. Which Scunthorpe player of 2022-23 had previous played at Accrington and Hartlepool?
16. Which was the last club United gained FA Cup victory over, in 2018-19?
17. Which member of the United’s backroom staff had playing experience at Notts County, Sheffield United, Grimsby Town, Lincoln City, and the Iron?
18. Who notched United’s only goal in an FA Cup match at Woking in 1998?
19. Which former player won the Golden Gloves award in 2007?
20. Which former Scunthorpe United player scored in the opening match of the 2021-22 season, before departing to play at Bristol Rovers?
21. Who was the on loan goal scorer of 11 goals in 15 games during the 2012-13 season?
22. Which defender converted the winning goal in the 3-2 victory over Dorking Wanderers?
23. Which member of staff played for the Iron in 2011-12 season, joining from Norwich, but departing for Kilmarnock?
24. In 2003-04, which Scottish player was known as the Scunthorpe United ‘Loan Ranger’?
25. Which United player of 2022-23 joined the previous season from Tranmere Rovers, and has had experience at Bournemouth, Bolton and Blackpool?
26. Against which club did a 0-0 draw secure promotion from second place in the Division Two table at the end of the 2004-05 season?
27. Against which club did Scunthorpe United secure their only away victory of the 2021-22 season?
28. Which present season player has previous experience from time at Doncaster Rovers, and also Chesterfield on loan, after signing in 2020?
29. Which former Iron has recently left Notts County to continue back in the EFL at Stockport County?
30. How many seasons have Scunthorpe United had as members of the EFL.
31. Who scored his only EFL goal in the 2021-22 season in the 1-1 draw at Glanford Park, against Hartlepool?
32. Which South African born player is in his second spell at Glanford Park, in the present 2022-23 season?
33. Which Iron of 2022-23 has seen service at Lincoln City, Grimsby Town and Forest Green Rovers?
34. Who was the last person to both play for the Iron and manage them, both in the EFL?
35. Which club visited Scunthorpe twice in a week in 2021-22, once in the FA Cup and on the other occasion in the EFL Trophy?
36. Against which club did Scunthorpe United gain a 1-0 victory over in 2021-22, thanks to a Myles Hippolyte penalty conversion?
37. At which London based club did a Rob Apter goal secure a point from a 1-1 result, on a Friday evening this season?
38. Which Iron has joined the club on a season long loan from Sheffield United, for 2022-23?
39. Which present Iron joined in August 2019, having previous experience at Huddersfield, and has since been called up for the Republic of Ireland U21 squad?
40. Which former Scunthorpe United man, born at Wembley, scored twice at Wembley for Scunthorpe United?
41. Which of the present Scunthorpe United management made his League debut in the first League match played at Glanford Park, in 1988, against Hereford United?
42. Scunthorpe United last won a EFL match on February 8th 2022, beating Walsall 1-0, but which current player scored?
43. Which player scored exactly 99 career goals whilst at Scunthorpe United, those being in all senior competitions?
44. Which member of the current staff was with the Iron from 1996 until 2006, making 243 appearances, before continuing at Rochdale and Burton Albion?
45. Who has played for the Iron and managed them on two different occasions, assuming a spell of gardening leave did not severe his first term?
46. The biggest crowd to view any Scunthorpe United match was 59,661, but which club was the Iron opposition?
47. Who did Billy Sharp score his first Scunthorpe United goal against?
48. Who is the current manager of Aberdeen, who wore the Iron claret and blue shirt?
49. Who was the ex-Southend United striker who became the leading scorer for Scunthorpe United during the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons?
50. Which club did United beat in the Play-off Semi Finals of 2008-09?
Click here for the answers.