Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Iron U18s 1-0 Guiseley U18s

16 November 2021


Report: Iron U18s 1-0 Guiseley U18s

16 November 2021

United’s Under 18 side progressed to Round Three of this season's FA Youth Cup, as Harrison Poulter’s second half strike decided the tie against Guiseley at the Sands Venue Stadium.

Scunthorpe started the encounter in blistering fashion, as a mere ten seconds into the game, Jack Moore-Billam stole the ball from the kick off and played in Poulter only for his effort to be well saved by Brackenbury in the Guiseley goal. 

Again, just seconds later, Harry Lewis played a dangerous ball into the visitors penalty area and although Poulter did well to try and get on the end of the delivery, Moore-Billam’s follow up strike flashed wide. 

On five minutes, Guiseley were presented with the first chance of the game as the ball fell to striker Mather who forced Owen Foster into a smart save. 

The action continued vigorously, as a flying tackle from Ellis Farrar on Moore-Billam saw him receive the first caution of the game after just eight minutes.

Poulter, who was again proving to be a handful for the West Yorkshire side, was played through superbly by Tyrell Sellars-Fleming on 15 minutes, but again he was denied by Brackenbury in the Guiseley goal. 

Sellars-Fleming then did well to win United a free-kick on the edge of the area, as Lewis’s left footed delivery then found Ethan Young, whose pull back to Josh Robertson was again saved to deny United what would have been a well-deserved first half lead.

Jakub Hebda had a couple of half-chances for the visitors and Poulter again raced in behind the visitors back line, but as the half-time whistle blew and it was all level, it was Scunthorpe who could hold their heads high heading into the second period. 

With the game still teetering on a knife edge as the second 45 minutes began, Moore-Billam was instrumental to everything United did, as he burst forward with a three-on-three resulting in his scuffed effort sailing just wide. 

Lewis came forward just after the hour mark, with United’s number three's deflected pass finding Sellars-Fleming before he laid onto Harvey Cribb, as his goal-bound effort was just a fraction too high to trouble Brackenbury.

Then on 70 minutes the breakthrough finally came, as Sellars-Fleming's initial shot was blocked on the edge of the visitors' penalty area but with strike partner Poulter lurking as ever. He wriggled his way around the Guiseley back line before delicately chipping his effort over Brackenbury and into the back of the net. 

As the game neared its conclusion, Iron captain on the evening, Oliver Lobley skipped forward minutes later as his effort sailed just wide of the Guiseley penalty area. 

Josh Stones was presented with a decent chance shortly after, as he broke into the Iron’s penalty area, but his miskicked effort turned penalty appeal was waved away despite protestations from the away dugout. 

Then at the death, the Iron did brilliantly to hold on, as first Hebda was denied spectacularly by Foster, and then Stones' follow-up effort looked certain to be heading in but not for a superb last ditch clearance from Moore. 

The latter trickled onto the post, with Scunthorpe clearing the ball away to hold on and advance into Round Three of the competition were they will face Manchester United away, with a date to be confirmed in due course for the tie. 

IRON: Foster; Wallace, Moore, Young, Lewis (Pike, 90); Cribb, Moore-Billam, Robertson, Lobley; Poulter, Sellars-Fleming (Strouther, 82).

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Franklin, Balme, Elliott-Bell, Burden, Abraham.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account