Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-2 Lincoln City

27 July 2021

United played their final home game of pre-season where they lost 2-0 to local rivals Lincoln City, of the league above.

The Imps took the lead early on through Conor McGrandles' close range effort before doubling it after the break with a Cohen Bramall free kick. 

The visitors took an early lead in the third minute. Tom Hopper won an aerial duel for Lincoln before the ball fell to Bramall. He then delivered a low ball into the box which McGrandles slotted home.

Only a minute later, the Imps tried the same tactic again. Bramall found space down the left and sent another ball into the path of McGrandles, but this time his effort was over the bar. 

Right-back Ross Millen, making his home debut, went down not long after. He received treatment but was subbed off for Tom Pugh. 

McGrandles continued to be busy for the Imps early on. In the ninth minute he was fed the ball from the left before opening his body up and striking towards goal. However, Tom Billson (making his home debut after signing on loan from Coventry City the day prior) was able to get down and save the shot. 

Just after this, the away side seized possession which then led to an effort from Remy Longdon who rolled a left-footed shot wide of Billson’s left-hand post. 

Soon after, the Iron had two great chances to equalise. Harry Davis, who was captain on the night, drove out of defence and after a series of passes the ball found Tyrone O’Neill, who fired at goal only for it to be parried into the path of Devarn Green whose effort was cleared off the line. 

Following the two United chances, Jordan Hallam received the ball on the edge of the box. He opened up and struck a low shot towards goal, but it was blocked by the away defence. 

In the 17th minute, Bramall drove another low cross into the Iron’s area. Two Lincoln players slid to meet the pass, but neither could connect, and the ball rolled out for a United throw. 

A couple of minutes later, Green streamed down the left-hand side. As he got into the area he cut in on his right foot and sent a cross into the path of Harry Bunn whose header was just over the bar. 

In the 27th minute, Alex Kenyon and Alex Perry linked up to play the Iron out of their half. Following this the ball was fed into O’Neill, who sent a pass towards Bunn with his first touch. However, the ball was cleared out for a United throw.

On the half-hour mark, there was a chance for the Imps as a corner was delivered in and flicked towards the back post. Regan Poole looked to head home from close range, but the ball ended up going in the opposite direction. 

Five minutes before the half-time whistle, the Iron won a free kick. Green took down a powerful ball before he turned and drove froward. However, as he looked to weave between two defenders he was brought down. The free kick was whipped in, but Emmanuel Onariase couldn’t quite angle his header goalwards. 

Unfortunately, there was another injury for United right on half time. Davis went down on halfway before he received treatment and was then subbed off for George Taft. 

As the game got underway for the second half there were two early corners for the visitors. The Iron dealt with both though, with Billson coming out to gather the first and the second being cleared away. 

In the 54th minute the Imps doubled their lead as Bramall took a free kick from the right-hand side of the area, sending it across goal and into the roof of the net. 

Soon after, there was a chance for Liam Bridcutt to add another. A cross came into United’s box from the left channel, but he headed wide of the post. 

Billson made a great reaction save just before the hour mark. Bramall drove a shot in from the left-hand side of the area which took a slight deflection, but the keeper was able to beat it away.

As the clock reached 66 minutes there was a great passage of play from the Iron. Following that, a ball was played into Harry Jessop who ran onto it and took his shot first time, but it sailed wide as Adam Jackson clattered into him. 

A moment later, Ryan Loft almost found himself through on goal as well. A through ball was played behind the Imps defence but as Loft ran onto it, it was intercepted by Josh Griffiths. 

Substitute James Jones had an effort at the Iron’s goal from 20 yards, but Rory Watson watched it all the way as he got down low to make the save. 

In the 77th minute, Cameron Wilson strode down the left, beating one man and then riding a challenge from a second to win a corner. The corner took a slight flick off an Imps defender before it fell to Jessop who sent a left footed volley just wide of the post. 

With 10 minutes to go there was a great chance for United to pull one back. Dan Gallimore sent a brilliant ball into Jessop who then passed to Alfie Beestin. The substitute then weaved into the area and as he looked to place the ball into the net his effort was unintentionally blocked by Loft. 

The Iron are next in action on Saturday 31st July as they travel to London where they’ll play AFC Wimbledon just a week before the new League Two season gets underway.

Iron line-up: Billson (Watson, 61), Millen (Pugh, 6), O’Malley (Thompson, 72), Kenyon (Shrimpton, 72), Onariase (Rowe, 72), Green (Beestin, 45), Hallam (Jessop, 61), Bunn (Gallimore, 72), O’Neill (Loft, 45), Davis (Taft, 43), Perry (Wilson, 72). 

Iron unused subs: Collins.

Lincoln line-up: Griffiths, Poole (Jones, 61), Melbourne, Jackson, Edun, Hopper (Draper, 73), Bramall, Longdon (Makamba, 73), McGrandles (Sorensen, 45), Florini (Sanders, 45), Bridcutt (Brooks, 73). 

Lincoln unused sub: Trialist A.

Advertisement block