Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Hull City U23s 0-0 Iron U23s

25 February 2020

Match Reports

Report: Hull City U23s 0-0 Iron U23s

25 February 2020

The Iron played out a 0-0 stalemate with Hull City in their final game of the Premier League Cup group stages.

Billy Chadwick cut inside and fired over the crossbar for the hosts, 12 minutes in, after some good work from Ahmed Salam.

Hull were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position just outside the area after McCauley Snelgrove was brought down. Callum Jones stood over the set piece but the effort whizzed over the bar.

Six minutes later, Chadwick went close again for the Tigers but his shot flew wide of the upright.

With half an hour played, Reon Potts saw his effort deflected behind after latching on to Yasin Ben El-Mhanni’s ball, and the resulting corner came to nothing.

Jai Rowe had a chance to make it 1-0 to the Iron moments later. Devarn Green and Alfie Beestin combined, with the latter setting up Rowe but his thunderous effort just cleared the bar.

Rowe fashioned another opening on the half hour mark, racing down the right before cutting inside and firing wide.

At the other end of the pitch, Adam Kelsey was forced into a save to deny Chadwick with seven minutes of the first period remaining.

Ben El-Mhanni registered the Iron’s first effort on target, with 39 minutes on the watch. Green fed the ball through to the former but Harvey Cartwright kept him out.

The Iron appealed for a penalty late in the half after Ben El-Mhanni appeared to be fouled by Andy Smith inside the area but the referee waved away the protests.

Within a minute of the restart, Kelsey was called into action, saving comfortably from Chadwick.

Kelsey was tested again, ten minutes in, as Elliot Bonds picked out Jake Leake but the latter was denied by the Iron shot-stopper and cleared to safety. 

Salam was the next to take aim but Kelsey was on hand at the near post.

Snelgrove rippled the side netting in the 58th minute after latching on to Matty Jacob’s cross.

With 74 minutes played, Ben El-Mhanni had a speculative effort from distance but his shot was high of the bar.

Four minutes later, Green drew a save from Cartwright as the ‘keeper saved with his feet.

In the final five minutes, Tom Pugh won back the ball and fired goalwards but the Hull ‘keeper was equal to it and it finished goalless.

HULL: Cartwright, Jacob, Leake, Bonds, Smith, Ritson, Snelgrove, Hanson (Green 60’), Chadwick, Jones, Salam.

HULL UNUSED SUBS: Robson, Bayram, Beckett, Power.

IRON: Kelsey, Rowe (Baker 59’), O’Malley, Hornshaw, Songo’o (Barks 85’), Cummings, Green, Pugh, Potts, Beestin, Ben El-Mhanni.

IRON UNUSED SUBS: Jessop, Balme, Wilson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account