Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron seen off by Lincoln in latest friendly

25 August 2020

The Iron lost 4-0 away at League One side Lincoln City in their latest pre-season friendly, although 21 players received vital game time in preparation for the new season.

Within seconds of the game starting the Imps had a free-kick from 25 yards out, after an early foul by the Iron.

This was quickly followed by a goal for the hosts scored by Joe Walsh after a free-kick by Jorge Grant. Rory Watson tried to push the effort away from the underside of the bar, but the rebound was rolled into the net by Walsh.

Three minutes in, the Imps had another run down the left side. However, this shot across the goal went high and wide.

Seven minutes played; the Iron had a left corner after they tried to force the home defence into a mistake. John McAtee crossed it but the keeper, Ethan Ross collected the ball.

Later, McAtee and Ryan Colclough combined down the left before Jacob Bedeau took possession and powered down the left. His cross was deflected, but the goalkeeper prevented the corner.

17 minutes in, Watson made a brilliant save after a low effort was angled on target from the edge of the area. This came following a quick break from the Imps.

Then, a free-kick was awarded to the Iron on the right following a foul. Colclough sent the kick in deep, but it went over Jai Rowe’s head and out for a throw-in.

Soon after, a quick move from Watson saw a ball from Tyler Cordner find Bedeau. The former Aston Villa defender skipped past his marker as he looked to feed Jordan Hallam in, who made the run.

27 minutes gone, Mooney played the ball through to McAtee. He advanced rapidly towards the goal but had a shot blocked. He then appeared to be held back as he tried to go for the rebound.

33 minutes in, Mooney got in front of his man and got pushed over. This gave the Iron a free-kick. Bedeau competed to get on the end of the free-kick in the area. Cordner flicked the ball back into the penalty area. Mooney and McAtee then chased down the ball, but the Imps defended well.

Two minutes later, Watson made a great save as he got down low to his left to prevent a Lincoln second goal.

With 38 minutes gone, Bedeau blocked a 25-yard effort where Lincoln tried to work some space to test Watson.

43 minutes in, Tom Pugh gained possession 35-yards from goal and passed to Hallam on the right side of the area. He drilled an effort low across the goal which was well saved.

After half time, the Imps continued with the momentum from the first half. The hosts got a corner after the Iron defence turned a cross behind. McAtee got a touch on the cross before Watson collected it.

49 minutes gone; after a nice set piece of play from Mooney, Hallam and Spence, Bedeau found the ball and crossed it towards the goal. However, the effort was saved by the keeper.

A minute later, the Imps extended their lead as the ball was lifted into the net by Zack Elbouzdi from the right side of the area.

60 minutes gone, Lincoln came forward down the left side of the area, and a dinked effort went over the crossbar.

Later, the Imps made another attempt from the edge of the box which Tom Collins defended by tipping the ball over the crossbar.

62 minutes in, Lincoln extended their lead TJ Eyoma slid the ball into the back of the net.

Then, Lewis Butroid strode into the area on the left and struck an attempt on goal. This made the keeper go low and left to save it.

With 69 minutes gone, an Iron Trialist got in the way to block Tom Hopper’s cross. The corner from this was headed into the side netting.

74 minutes in, Abo Eisa made a break into space on the left of the area, but the home keeper again made a good save.

Moments later, the Iron were denied another goal as Aaron Jarvis’ low drilled effort across the goal got blocked away for a corner.

With 78 minutes played, Eisa then fired a free-kick over for the Iron.

On 83 minutes, Beestin found Pugh on the overlap with a cross that went to Butroid. But the cross was turned away.

Eisa then fired wide again from 25 yards after he shaped it onto his right foot. This came after some nice work from Beestin.

With 86 minutes gone, former Iron player Tom Hopper went through and scored a fourth and final goal.

IMPS: Ross, Bradley, Eyoma (Makama, 66), Walsh (Melbourne, 45), Roughhan (Adebayo-Smith, 80), Edun (Anderson, 64), McGrandles, Jones, (Cann, 66), Elbouzedi (Hopper, 64), Grant (Trialist, 66), Sully (Sault, 64).

IRON: Watson (Collins, 56), Bedeau (Gilliead, 56), Colclough (Eisa, 56), Hallam (Butroid, 56), Spence (Vincent, 68), Mooney (Jarvis, 56), Rowe (Trialist, 45), Cordner (Shrimpton, 56), Pugh, O’Malley (Barks, 56), McAtee (Beestin, 78).

Advertisement block