Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Grimsby Town 1-2 Iron

3 September 2019

The Iron emerged 2-1 victors at Grimsby Town in the group stages of the Trophy on Tuesday night.

Kevin van Veen was at the double as the Iron earned the bragging rights in the Lincolnshire derby.

In the early exchanges, Yann Songo’o battled well for the ball in the final third. The midfielder won possession back for the Iron before switching play out to the right but Ryan Colcough’s cross was too long for Alex Gilliead at the back post.

With 15 minutes on the watch, the hosts won a free-kick. Ethan Robson’s delivery was good but the Iron did well to avert the danger from the set-piece.

Moments later, Rory McArdle and Songo’o were on hand to clear a cross in from the left.

The best chance of the half fell to Songo’o, with 22 minutes played. Perch picked out the number five unmarked in the box but the latter’s header was tame and comfortable for Sam Russell.

In the 28th minute, Kevin van Veen curled in the opener. The Iron were awarded free-kick on the edge of the area for Joe Starbuck’s infringement on George Miller. The striker stepped up, angled the set piece over the wall and into the top corner.

Alex Gilliead tried his luck from range and had Grimsby ‘keeper Russell diving off to his left after the forward let fly from 35 yards.

With five minutes until the half-time whistle, Songo’o volleyed just wide of the upright. One of his teammates took a touch on the effort to lift it high of the target after he latched on to Colclough’s corner.

At the other end of the pitch, a chance went begging for Charles Vernam. The striker looked to round Eastwood before taking a tumble as the ball deflected off his own leg and behind for a corner kick.

McArdle made an important clearance as Vernam came knocking again as the Iron cleared their lines.

In added time, Colclough’s left-footed shot took a deflection before van Veen headed wide of the target.

After the restart, the Mariners levelled proceedings. With 49 minutes on the clock, Harry Cardwell pounced on the rebound from Ahkeem Rose’s effort to make it 1-1.

In the 58th minute, van Veen took aim from the 20 yards but his effort was straight at Russell between the sticks.

Colclough went close, firing just over the bar as the winger drove into the box after receiving a flick on from Eastwood’s goal kick.

Van Veen netted his and the Iron’s second of the game, with 75 minutes gone. The Iron re-took the lead after Colclough’s pinpoint cross found the former in space. The number 10 had time to control the ball before blasting into the roof of the net.

Minutes later, there were shouts of handball from the Iron but the referee waved appeals away before van Veen saw another shot that looked destined for the back of the net blocked.

Substitute Abo Eisa tested Russell who held on to the ball after the winger beat two men before setting his sights on goal.

James Perch was sent off in the dying stages, receiving a straight red card, as he battled for a 50-50 challenge on the nearside touchline, but the Iron held on for a 2-1 win over local rivals in the cup competition.

MARINERS: Russell, Starbuck, Gibson, Pollock, Ring, Hewitt, Robson (Henrie 66’), Rose (McPherson 73'), Cardwell, Vernam (Adlard 88’), Wright.

MARINERS UNUSED SUBS: McKeown, Painter, Hope, Khouri.

IRON: Eastwood, Clarke, Songo’o, Colclough, van Veen (Hornshaw 88’), Perch, Gilliead (Eisa 73’), McArdle, McGahey, Miller, McAtee (Slater 73’).

IRON UNUSED SUBS: Collins, Bedeau, O’Malley, Dawson.

ATTENDANCE: 1,302 (202 away).

Advertisement block