Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-2 Peterborough United

13 October 2018

The Iron lost 2-0 to Peterborough United at Glanford Park on Saturday afternoon.

Manager Stuart McCall made just one change from last weekend’s league defeat at Luton Town. Centre-half Charlie Goode came into the side to replace Cameron Burgess. 

The away side had the game’s first big opportunity when Mark O’Hara played Jason Cummings through, however the forward delayed his shot, allowing the Iron to get defenders back. Goalkeeper Jak Alnwick then made a comfortable save from a weak shot. 

Joe Ward then delivered a cross into the box for Ryan Tafazolli who turned it over for Posh. The former then had an effort of his own – an ambitious volley – which went over the bar.

In the 30th minute, the Iron had their first major chance of the match. Stephen Humphrys broke beyond the defence and attempted to lob Aaron Chapman, but the ball hit the side-netting. 

There were claims for an Iron penalty in the 32nd minute after a miss-communication with Peterborough’s goalkeeper Chapman and Jason Naismith. The ball was allowed to bounce just inside the box and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson got to it before the ‘keeper, heading goalwards and was subsequently knocked over by Chapman. The headed effort bounced wide of the target and no foul was awarded. 

After a break in play to allow treatment for Chapman, the visitors came forward and Cummings tried flicking the ball into the net, but Alnwick was alert to prevent it from going in.

Three minutes before half-time, and the Iron were searching for an opening goal. Ryan Colclough drove inside from the right-wing and drilled a strike wide of the right post. 

In stoppage time, Colclough was proving to be a threat again with two chances. For the first, he dribbled past Colin Daniel inside the Posh box and, from a very tight angle, he forced Chapman into a save. Once again, Colclough showed more trickery to find space in the area and drilled a low effort towards the goal, which Chapman palmed away. 

After the interval, Josh Morris came close to putting McCall’s side in front. He drove an effort towards the bottom right corner but it just went wide.

With the wind behind him, Funso Ojo then tried his luck from distance. He sent a dipping shot at Chapman, who spilled the effort before Peterborough cleared.

The away side then swiftly counter-attacked and took a 1-0 lead. Daniel crossed from the left-wing and ex-Iron forward Matt Godden headed home.

Looking for an equaliser, Colclough showed more skill to turn past two Peterborough players, however his low shot went wide.

In the 58th minute, Peterborough doubled their advantage and Godden had his second. He managed to squeeze the ball into the bottom left corner.

The Iron tried to get back in the match in the 77th minute. Lee Novak turned and chipped a cross towards the far post, which Humphrys couldn’t get on target.

Substitute Ivan Toney looked to grab a third for the away side, but Alnwick saved the former Scunthorpe player’s poked shot with his legs. 

Andy Dales came close with four minutes left, although his volley went over the crossbar for the Iron.

United couldn’t find a goal, with Peterborough winning 2-0.

Scunthorpe United: Alnwick, Clarke, Borthwick-Jackson, Ojo, Lund (Dales, 60’), Humphrys (Burgess, 81’), Morris (Perch, 70’), Novak, Goode, McArdle (c), Colclough.
Unused substitutes: Flatt, Horsfield, Lewis, Sutton.

Peterborough United: Chapman, Naismith, Daniel, Woodyard (c), Tafazolli, O’Hara, Godden (Walker, 90+6’), Dembele (Cooper, 90’), Ward, Bennett, Cummings (Toney, 63’).
Unused substitutes: Tyler, Reed, Cooke, Denton.

Referee: Robert Lewis.

Attendance: 4,566.

Advertisement block