Manager Nick Daws says the Iron fought off interest from several other clubs to secure the services of Mickleover Sports attacker Andy Dales.
The 23-year-old became the club’s second addition of the summer on Friday, and the United boss said the opportunity to sign the highly-rated ex-Derby County man was too good to turn down.
“We’re pleased we have him on board,” Daws told iFollow Iron. “He’s a player who left Derby at 19/20 after being a first year professional and went into men’s football, learning his trade and developing his game.”
The manager added: “He scored 20 goals last season from a wide or No 10 position and adds to our strength in depth there, providing something a little different. He’s certainly full of enthusiasm and desire to do his best for Scunthorpe United.”
Dales has been training with his new team-mates since Wednesday as they get to grips with the rigours of pre-season, providing the attacker with a chance to get settled in quickly.
“Steve Taylor, who I worked with previously, worked with Andy at Mickleover and gave him a glowing recommendation, while our scouting department watched him several times last season,” Daws continued. “The only thing we need to consider is he’s been playing part-time football, so we’ve adapted and eased him into some of the sessions. He’s a good kid and wants to do really well."
See much more from Nick Daws on iFollow Iron. Click here to sign up, with extended match highlights, extended interviews, commentaries and much more available.