Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


7 March 2017

United manager Graham Alexander felt his side were undeserving of their 2-1 loss to Charlton Athletic at the Valley.

After falling behind to a first half Johnnie Jackson strike, Alexander’s men fought back - rightfully getting themselves back in the game through a composed finish from Kevin van Veen.

However, Tony Watt’s late spot kick secured the points for the hosts, on a night where the United boss believed things could have turned out so differently.

Speaking to The Iron PlayerHD, Alexander said: “I thought in the first half it was a nothing game, and I didn’t think either team really stamped their authority on the match.

“We just needed to do things a little clearer in the second half, which we did.

“We did create chances, and their ‘keeper made an unbelievable save from Paddy Madden.

“Then we got the goal which we thoroughly deserved, and we were camped in their half for the rest of the game.

“It’s a blow to us, because we didn’t deserve it. In the last couple of games we’ve deserved more - without a shadow of doubt.”

Alexander says the ingredients were there for a positive result, and praised his players for the quality of their play.

“It was the 90th minute when they scored it (the penalty), so it’s not given us any real time to get back into the game,” the boss explained.

“We came into this game with confidence from Saturday’s performance.

“When we moved it well and we passed it we looked a very good team.

“We’re in a world where we deal with facts and we haven’t taken the points, so we have to look to see what we can do better.”

Two alterations were made to the Scunthorpe side which started against Fleetwood Town last time out, and Alexander revealed the respective reasons for the changes.

He also provided an update on winger Josh Morris, who was replaced at the interval by Neal Bishop.

“Conor (Townsend) reported an injury this morning when we travelled, and we had Toffs (Harry Toffolo) with us in the squad,” he revealed.

“Josh (Morris) went to clear a ball in the first half and he kicked the bottom of a Charlton lad's foot. He’s got a really nasty gash on his ankle, so he’s had to have a couple of stitches on that.

“I think the gash will be okay, it’s just whether there’s any more damage or swelling around it come Saturday’s game.

“He couldn’t continue, that was quite obvious at half time. We brought Bish (Neal Bishop) in, and he did a good job when he came on."

See much more from Graham Alexander and Paddy Madden on The Iron PlayerHD.

Advertisement block