Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: SK Strobl 0-6 Iron

18 July 2017

The Iron were 6-0 friendly victors over SK Strobl in Austria on Tuesday evening.

Cameron Burgess headed home the first, while Sam Mantom soon added a second from the edge of the area.

Hakeeb Adelakun then notched a spectacular strike to make it three before half-time.

Josh Morris scored a penalty, Paddy Madden netted a superb strike from outside the area and then Kevin van Veen added the final goal with a fine individual effort.

The Iron had their first chance on two minutes as Conor Townsend played the ball square on the edge of the area to Mantom, who shot from 20 yards but the goalkeeper tipped it over for a corner.

In the fifth minute, Burgess opened the scoring. After Morris was felled on the left side of the area, Adelakun took the free-kick and crossed for the ex-Fulham defender, who headed into the net.

Morris came close on 11 minutes but was thwarted by the goalkeeper after good work from Madden and Jordan Clarke.

Soon after, Madden headed just wide from a corner and then Neal Bishop crashed a header against the crossbar from an Adelakun set-play.

United made it 2-0 on 20 minutes when a corner was played by Morris to Clarke, who squared to Mantom on the edge of the box, and the midfielder drilled into the corner of the net with his left foot.

Scunthorpe made it three 12 minutes later when Mantom won the ball on halfway and passed to Adelakun, who turned and from 30 yards drove an effort into the bottom corner.

The chance for four came shortly after when Madden headed over the crossbar from a Clarke cross.

They did add the next goal on 54 minutes when Morris was brought down in the penalty area following a neat interchange. The winger stepped up to take the spot-kick and fired high into the net, despite the goalkeeper getting a touch.

The fifth arrived a minute later when the Iron won it straight back from kick-off, and Madden took it on halfway, and fired into the top corner from 35 yards.

Substitute Kevin van Veen scored the sixth on 67 minutes. Holmes passed to the Dutchman, who danced around four defenders and then rounded the goalkeeper before slotting in.

There were two more chances, with Hopper heading wide from a Holmes right-wing cross, and van Veen firing a free-kick over the crossbar, but 6-0 was how it ended.

Iron line-up: Gilks (Watson, 46), Adelakun (Holmes, 57), Bishop (Burdett, 70), Burgess (Goode, 46), Clarke, Madden (van Veen, 57), Mantom (Hopper, 57), McArdle (Sutton, 63), Morris (Margetts, 79), Townsend, Wallace (Butroid, 63).

Referee: Mr Simon Skowronski (POL).

Advertisement block