Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

05 August 2023 Venue The Lamb Ground Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

1 - 2
Scunthorpe United
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview: Tamworth (A)

4 August 2023

The Iron get their Vanarama National League North campaign underway on Saturday, travelling to face Tamworth at the Lamb Ground (3pm kick-off).


Tickets are SOLD OUT! Please do not travel if you do not have a ticket.

Supporters with tickets are advised to arrive early, with Tamworth expecting a big crowd for the game.


Jimmy Dean (click here to read | click here to watch on Iron Player).

Michael Clunan (click here to read | click here to watch on Iron Player).


The Iron will assess midfielder Callum Roberts as he steps up his training after being withdrawn with an ankle injury against Hull City. Following fears that his injury could have been a fracture, an x-ray revealed no break, with the former Aberdeen player returning to the group soon after.

Max Kouogun was withdrawn at half-time of United's home game against Burton Albion with a hamstring problem. Jimmy Dean, in his pre-match press conference, confirmed the game would probably come too soon for the former York City defender, but didn't rule him out completely.

Elsewhere, Reagan Ogle - who was also withdrawn at half-time against the Brewers - swiftly returned to training and will be available for the game.


The Lambs won five of their nine pre-season encounters including back-to-back wins building up to this fixture. They scored seven goals without reply in their last two games, including a 5-0 win over AFC Telford United. Last weekend, they beat Barwell 2-0 at home.

Tamworth achieved promotion from the Southern Central league last season, winning the league to return to the Vanarama National League North for the first time since their relegation in 2018.

For more information on our hosts, click here.


The referee will be Matthew McQuillan, assisted by Alexander Perkin and Jordan Griffiths. There is no fourth official at this level.


Scunthorpe were allocated a total of 750 tickets for the encounter, of which 700 are a standing terrace and 50 are seating in the Main Stand. Tickets sold out within four days.

Changing rooms and offices are situated adjacent to the clubhouse, behind the Shed. The changing rooms are portable and were obtained from Salisbury City when work on their Raymond McEnhill Stadium was completed.

The club shop is located outside the ground on the main car park and sells a range of Tamworth F.C. merchandise, including programmes, clothing and memorabilia

Catering facilities are located at the Castle End, by the clubhouse, and at the Meadow Street End. Both ends serve hot and cold food and drinks. When segregation is in operation, additional catering is supplied in the Meadow Street enclosure.


This game is not scheduled to be streamed. Supporters can click here to view the schedule.

Not all fixtures are available for streaming. Some geographical restrictions apply. Please visit our Packages to see what's available in your region.

For those games that are streamed, to help the Iron profit, you need to nominate 'Scunthorpe United' as your club in the sign-up process.


Our full record against Tamworth is as follows:


2023-24 - Sat Aug 5 NLN TBC TBC

Our full record against Tamworth is as follows: 

LEAGUE o 0 0
FA CUP 0 0

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Tamworth 1-2 Iron

5 August 2023

The Iron recorded an opening day win away at Tamworth, coming from behind to record victory in the Vanarama National League North.

Substitute Danny Whitehall's debut goal was the difference between the two sides following a 1-1 scoreline in the opening 45 minutes.

Jimmy Dean opted to start with the same XI that beat Burton Albion at Glanford Park seven days prior in the final match of pre-season.

That meant United had a back four of Reagan Ogle, Max Kouogun, Will Evans and Tyler Denton protecting Ross Fitzsimons in goal, with a midfield three of Alfie Beestin, skipper Michael Clunan and Kian Scales in midfield and a front three of Jason Law and Cameron Wilson supporting Danny Elliott.

With the skipper getting things underway, it was a positive start for the Iron, with Elliott having the first effort of the new season when he took down a left-winged cross following combination play from Denton and Law, but his deflected effort rolled towards goalkeeper Jasbir Singh.

On four minutes, the story of the first half began, with the referee issuing the first of six cautions inside the opening 45 minutes. That caution was to Tamworth’s Daniel Creaney who sent the ball away after conceding a free-kick - something which football is looking to clamp down on in the new season.

From the resultant free-kick, there were handball shouts turned down as Evans’ rose highest, with his header appearing to glance off a hand. The referee awarded a goal kick.

Within a moment, the referee endeared himself to the home crowd further as he entered the home technical area to reprimand the home technical area staff, but this time without a card.

Matthew McQuillan’s yellow card was out again on 12 minutes though, as he cautioned Ben Acquaye after the ball was into the crowd following a free-kick award against him.

The first half battle between two players was Acquaye and the Iron’s Ogle, with the latter intercepting on 15 minutes as the ball was slotted into space. The United right-back then stepped across again moments later to block an incoming left-footed effort on goal in the 16th minute.

Caution three of the game was correctly issued to Tamworth’s Kyle Finn who saw his delayed fall met with a yellow card as penalty claims were waved away.

Scunthorpe were dealt their first real warning on 18 minutes as the latest carded man, Finn, drilled an effort on goal, with Fitzsimons producing a superb one-handed save to keep the scores goalless.

Tamworth extended their disciplinary lead to 4-0 on 19 minutes as Jordan Cullinane-Liburd steamed in with a reckless tackle. While the referee could have played advantage, with Elliott breaking on half-way, played was stopped, and the card administered.

The Iron won their first corner of the game on 20 minutes when Elliott opted to come short to receive the ball, turning it round the corner for Wilson, who rode the tackle to win the set-piece, which was played short to Law before Clunan’s cross was shielded away.

Kian Scales became the first cautioned played of United on 22 minutes for a standard foul, which was met with ironic cheers around the Lamb Ground

On 25 minutes, Wilson headed the ball down before receiving it back from Scales in on the right. He cuts across the penalty area before sending his left-footed shot into the bodies of defenders.

The Acquaye-Ogle battled continued shortly after, with the Iron defender nipping in to deny a certain goal following a low cross across the area, with Acquaye lurking for the tap-in.

But just a minute later, it was that Lamb player who opened the scoring in the 29th minute, drilling the ball into the net to beat Fitzsimons to his right.

The referee’s disciplinary proceedings continued on 38 minutes when Wilson saw yellow for what appeared to all to be a routine foul.

With five minutes added on at the end of the first half, it was the final of those which saw the Iron net the equaliser. The Iron’s first goal of the new season went down as an own goal by Matt Curley as he beats his own goalkeeper to the ball to loop it into the net.

The second half saw Tamworth quickest out of the traps with efforts from Finn and Tshikuna sent wide in the opening exchanges.

Jimmy Dean made his first two alterations on 57 minutes, introducing Whitehall and Jacob Butterfield to proceedings. Both quick got down to business and slotted in seamlessly, with Scales seeing an effort saved following work from both, which also included Denton.

Scales was denied again on 65 minutes with his left-footed low drive saved after taking a deflection.

The card tally racked up again with Matt Curley entering the notebook for running the ball away on 70 minutes after the Iron had been awarded a free-kick.

From that resultant free-kick, United would be ahead for the first time in the game as he sent in an acrobatic effort into the net via a deflection following a knockdown from Evans.

Following the goal, Dean withdrew Wilson and put on Fin Shrimpton to sure up the Iron rearguard for the final - what turned out to be - 30 minutes.

There were nine minutes added onto the end of the game, with Tamworth substitute Ty Deacon denied by Fitzsimons in the first of those with a header. Denton then put his body on the line four minutes later to deny a fizzed effort from troubling the Iron goal.

Fitzsimons was the penultimate player in the notebook as he took too long over a goal kick before the Iron nearly sealed the result with Butterfield, only for his effort to be deflected wide.

It was a card of a different colour produced by referee McQuillan in the ninth minute of additional time as he dismissed Brad Gascoigne for a foul on Beestin. Scales was in on goal and visibly frustrated by the bringing back of play.

The Iron defended resolutely for the final few minutes, with a total of 12 minutes of added time played in the second half.

TAMWORTH: Singh, Curley, Gascoigne, Finn, Milnes, Acquaye (Arlott-John, 72'), Cullinane-Liburd, Dolman, Tshikuna (Jones, 84'), Jellis, Creaney (Deacon, 84').

TAMWORTH SUBS: Phillips, Meikle.

IRON: Fitzsimons, Ogle, Kouogun, Evans, Clunan, Beestin, Elliott (Whitehall, 57’), Wilson (Shrimpton, 72’), Scales, Law (Butterfield, 57’), Denton.

IRON SUBS: Kelly, Boyce.

ATTENDANCE: 2,063 (750 away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account