Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: York City 0-0 Iron

28 March 2023

Match Reports

Report: York City 0-0 Iron

28 March 2023

United played out a goalless draw with York City on Tuesday night.

It was back to back away games for the Iron, and Jimmy Dean made just a single change from Saturday’s game against Notts County as Dean Rance came into the team to replace Fin Shrimpton.

United’s first chance of the game came after a long throw into the box by Reagan Ogle. His low throw wasn’t dealt with by the York defence and it fell to Will Smith on the edge of the area. The ball bounced in front of the Iron defender and this made it a very difficult chance. He struck the ball on the half volley. However, he put too much power on the shot and it flew over the bar.

The first card of the game went to Rance. The Iron midfielder went in for a sliding tackle and won the ball; However, his follow through was high and his studs caught his man. The referee deemed the tackle to be dangerous and therefore he awarded the yellow card.

In the 13th minute, United almost created a great chance after Ogle whipped a ball into the penalty area. His cross had a lot of pace on it and this made it difficult to defend. Richie Bennett was waiting to meet the ball at the back post but the cross was centimetres too high for him and it just missed his head. If the cross had been slightly lower Bennett would have surely directed an effort goalward and tested the goalkeeper. It was a good opportunity for United.

In the 22nd minute, Ryan Fallowfield was the second player in the book after he brought down Jake Leake to halt an Iron counter attack.

The hosts got their first big chance of the game several minutes later. Fallowfield was at the centre of the move. The City full-back picked up the ball on the right-hand flank and drove forward. He got himself in a good position to cross into the area and that is exactly what he did. He directed a dangerous ball into the area and Lennell John-Lewis was darting in at the back post. As the ball came in, John-Lewis tried to strike the ball with his boot but Ogle was brave and got his head to the ball to clear. It was brave defending by the Scunthorpe defender to prevent a very dangerous chance.

In the 30th minute, Cameron Wilson had a great opportunity to give United the lead. He picked up the ball on the right-hand flank and cut inside onto his left foot. He delayed taking the shot until his path to goal was clear of defenders. From 20-yards out he curled a left footed shot towards the bottom-left corner. His shot had power and this made it difficult for Ryan Whitely. His effort was heading straight into the back of the net but Whitely got down quickly to steer the shot away from the target.

United continued to create opportunities and the next chance came when Bennett and Sean Shields combined down the left-flank. A neat one-two allowed Shields to get in behind the York defence. He drove to the byline before he directed a cross towards Bennett, who was inside the area. The United striker met the cross on the volley but he didn’t connect with the ball well and his effort rolled wide.

Several minutes later, United were presented with the best chance of the game so far. A loose pass allowed Shields to burst in behind the City defence once again. He found himself in a one-on-one situation. However, he chose to hold onto the ball and wait for support. Jacob Butterfield rushed into the penalty area and received the ball. He took a touch and struck it goalward.

Whitely rushed off his line to block the shot and he got an important leg onto the ball. This made sure the scores stayed level.

The Iron kept on piling pressure on the hosts. Another dangerous cross was lifted into the area, as Bennett climbed the highest and was the player to meet the ball first. He powered his effort into the ground and it was heading into the bottom corner. Whitely had to react quickly and he acrobatically denied Bennett.

Just before the half concluded, Fallowfield found himself in a dangerous position just outside the 18-yard-box. He powered a shot along the ground from a tight angle and it caught Tom Billson out. Billson was beaten but the shot didn’t have the precision it needed to reach the back of the net. It stuck the upright and rolled out for a goal kick. It was a let off for the Iron.

The hosts got the second half underway. Immediately, they tried to pin United back in their own half and create chances. The ball was repeatedly whipped into the area but United stood firm and cleared their lines.

In the 55th minute, Butterfield stepped up to take a freekick midway in the York half. He chipped the ball into the penalty area and Smith got there first and flicked the ball on. Bennett once again was rushing in at the back post. Before he could get a head to the ball, Whitely rushed off his line to claim the ball. It was a good chance once again. United were beginning to find their rhythm again in this second half.

Billson was called into action after the home side managed to break forward. City broke into the area before unleashing a powerful shot from a tight angle. Billson read the situation, got a strong hand to the shot and palmed the ball away from the danger.

The Minstermen had the momentum and they tried to create chances but United were defending well and preventing the home side from creating any clear cut opportunities.

Within the 67th minute, Jimmy Dean brought Danny Elliott on for an injured Shields. Scunthorpe had to endure a lot of York pressure midway through the second half. They coped very well and cleared their lines every time.

In the 72nd minute, United got themselves up the field. Ogle produced another one of his trademark long throws into the box. Ben Richards-Everton got on the end of the throw and glanced a header goalward; However, his effort was deflected wide.

Two minutes later, Bennett had an opportunity to grab the first goal of the game. He was clean through on goal and he had no defenders around him. The Iron striker had time to size up a shot. He picked his spot, stuck the ball with power and he watched his effort fly over the bar. 

York responded and nearly grabbed a goal themselves when a ball was played into the area and took a deflection off Smith. The deflection altered the flight of the ball and diverted it goalward. Billson had to react extremely quickly to make a vital save. He flung himself at the ball and made an excellent save to spare Smith’s blushes.

United continued to search for the opening goal and in the 84th minute they earnt themselves a corner. Liam Thompson took the responsibility but his corner was weak and it didn’t beat the first man.

John-Lewis was the next player to have a chance on goal. He was unmarked 10-yards-out from goal, a cross found his head and he tried to direct the ball goalward. His header lacked direction and went sailing over the bar, much to Billson’s relief. It was a golden opportunity wasted.

The home side continued to create chances but couldn’t find the end product. The scores stayed level and the game finished goalless.

Whitley, Fallowfield (Kouhyar, 70) Crookes, McLaughlin, Dyson (Hancox, 80), Forde, Whittle, John-Lewis, Ellis, Duckworth, Rowe (Hurst, 45).

Campbell, Kouogun.

Billson, Ogle, Richards-Everton, Butterfield (Shrimpton, 81), Wilson, Leake, Thompson, Smith, Rance, Shields (Elliott, 67), Bennett.

Boyce, Feeney, Pugh.

5,435 (1,190 away).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account