Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Yeovil Town 0-0 Iron

10 December 2022

United drew 0-0 away at Yeovil Town on Saturday, keeping their first clean sheet since March.

The Iron made four changes from the side that faced Notts County last week, as Owen Foster, Finley Shrimpton, Colin Daniel and Tom Pugh came in for Marcus Dewhurst, Jacob Butterfield, Ethan Young and Jai Rowe.

There was an attacking start from the Iron with crosses from Alfie Beestin and Daniel on the left blocked and then cleared, respectively, before an advance down the right from Reagan Ogle was interjected.

Marcus Carver chased a ball down the right channel, forcing a touch from the home defence before the ball was played out for a throw to the Iron on the far side.

On seven minutes, there were three superbly timed sliding challenges from Pugh to thwart Yeovil’s progression down the right. It was a first corner of the game for the Glovers though, as a result. This was headed away by George Taft, with the following cross headed just over the crossbar.

Two minutes after, the Iron had a corner of their own following slick play between Ogle and Rob Apter. The ball was fed to Beestin, with the cutback turned behind. The subsequent corner ball dropped for Taft, with his shot headed away.

On 16 minutes, Carver was fouled on the edge of the area, but the referee played an advantage that saw the ball through to Apter. He was brought down, but fairly, and the Iron had a corner.

Boyce escaped his marker, but the corner was headed away by the hosts. Pugh sent in a second delivery which Carver chased. Daniels’ cross was blocked though.

The 22nd minute saw a superb save from Foster as he narrowed the angle as Ewan Clark was slipped in on goal down the right of the area.

On 26 minutes, the Iron drove forward as Apter spread play to the left. Beestin checked inside and opted to pass to Lavery rather than shoot. The ball was intercepted but fell with Carver, who sent an effort wide from six-yards out.

In the 35th minute, Foster was quick off his line to gather a through ball with Louis Britton racing onto the end of it.

Four minutes later, Pugh’s deep delivery was headed away twice before arriving at Beestin on the edge of the box. He controlled the ball before sending a volley just over the bar.

On 42 minutes, play was spread wide-right to Charlie Wakefield for the hosts. He took on Daniel before rolling an effort towards goal, which Foster got down to his right to gather.

On the stroke of half-time, the ball dropped to Beestin 25-yards from goal, with a first-time left-footed effort going across it and wide.

Two minutes into the second period, the Iron defended an early second-half free-kick into the area before keeping a tight line to ensure Britton was flagged offside.

There was then a quick break from Yeovil in the 53rd minute as play was switched from right to left. Wakefield took on possession but sent his 20-yard effort into the crowd behind the goal.

In the 64th minute Scunthorpe had their best chance of the game so far when Shrimpton played the ball wide to Pugh. He drove forward and waited for the overlap by Ogle. He then floated in a cross, Carver rose well sending a header towards the corner, but the ball clipped the post.

Then, Shrimpton patiently waited for Daniel to overlap before the left-back clipped in a ball. Ogle kept the attack alive before Pugh won a free-kick.

Pugh floated in a good delivery, and Taft headed towards goal but the effort was off target.

There was then a big chance for the Iron as the ball was cut back by Carver on the left goal line. Pugh slipped at the vital moment, with Apter firing over the crossbar.

With 20 minutes left, from a free-kick, Beestin had a go from range, with the effort bouncing up off the surface, but still comfortably gathered by Smith.

Then, Pugh was denied by Grant Smith with a parried effort on the right side of the area. Shrimpton then sent the ball back into the area with Pugh unable to get the ball under control.

From a corner won by Apter on 73 minutes, Boyce rose highest and sent his effort on goal. It was blocked. Daniel lashed an effort towards goal and it almost crossed the line but for a last ditch stop from Smith.

The two sides battled it out for the next exchanges with chances few and far between before the Iron broke and Wilson sent in a right-wing cross which goalkeeper Smith got to.

There was a late Iron change as Apter was replaced by Cameron Wilson.

Scunthorpe return to action on Tuesday night with a home game against Woking (7.45pm kick-off).

YEOVIL: Smith, Hunt, Bevan, Johnson, Staunton, Andrews, D'Ath, Clark (Oluwabori, 66), Wakefield (Linton, 72), Britton, Fisher.


IRON: Foster, Ogle, Boyce, Beestin, Carver, Lavery, Taft, Shrimpton, Daniel, Apter (Wilson, 90), Pugh.

IRON SUBS: Dewhurst, O'Malley, Rowe, Butterfield, Wilson.

ATTENDANCE: 2,744 (78 away fans).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account