Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Rotherham United 4-1 Iron

5 October 2021

The Iron were defeated 4-1 at Rotherham United in the Papa John's Trophy group stages on Tuesday night, but deserved more for their endeavours at the New York Stadium.

The hosts took a first half lead through Will Grigg and Freddie Ladapo. The Iron battled though and pulled one back through Ryan Loft in the second half. However, Rotherham secured the three points with two late goals.

The game had a quiet opening with neither teams registering a chance. However, eight minutes in, Ross Millen drove forward down the right before delivering a cross into the box, but the keeper gathered it. 

The home side took the lead a minute later after Grigg volleyed home Wes Harding’s cross from the right.

Just after, Jordan Hallam managed to get a shot away, but his effort was deflected wide, and the linesman flagged it for offside too.  

Rory Watson was forced into making a save on 11 minutes when he tipped Harding’s right-wing cross over the bar. 

The Iron’s first chance came soon after. Loft flicked a ball onto Hallam who controlled the ball and sent it to Harry Wood. The midfielder then released a low strike at goal, but it was wide of the right-hand post. 

Another chance for United came 16 minutes in. Wood sent a free-kick in towards Emmanuel Onariase, but the defender was flagged offside as he looked to head the ball into a dangerous position. 

With 20 minutes on the clock the home side doubled their lead. A cross from the left was met by Ladapo who headed in from close range. 

Ladapo had another chance soon after. Grigg knocked it down and the striker fired a half-volley wide of Watson’s left-hand post. 

During that strong spell for the home side. Barlaser had a chance from a corner, but his effort was into the side netting of the near post. 

Scunthorpe began to get a foothold in the game though, and Hallam won the ball back for United before passing to Devarn Green. He fired a shot at goal, but the chance was just wide of the left-hand post. 

Right after Loft then registered a shot on target. The targetman received a through ball from Wood on the right-hand side before striking the ball low, forcing Vickers to make a save. 

On 33 minutes Loft then connected with a cross from the left, forcing Vickers into another save. However, in doing so the goalkeeper knocked down Bola, who then received treatment. The home player continued though, and play resumed. 

Hippolyte delivered in a long throw from the left, but it was cleared back to him. He then whipped in a cross towards Onariase but the home keeper rose to claim it. 

Loft threatened again late on in the half. Millen crossed into the box, however, as Loft tried to connect, he was penalised for a foul on Vickers. Soon after he retrieved a loose ball and sent a shot at goal, but it deflected wide of the near post. 

Following this a corner was whipped in from the right. It eventually fell to Wood on the edge of the area whose volley was wide. 

United then came close again as Hallam forced a save from Vickers following some nice play from the Iron and a good ball in from Loft.

The second half began with a chance for the home side. Harding attempted to get the ball into the danger area, but Watson managed to get hold of it. Soon after Harding sent the ball into the area looking for Ladapo again, but Watson came out to collect it. 

On 51 minutes Green slipped in Hallam. The striker then fired a shot away as he was challenged by Hull. 

Hippolyte whipped in the subsequent corner in from the right which was then headed away. It was cleared only as far as Green whose long-range strike went over the bar.

Green then drove down the right and looked to send the ball through to Loft but it was cleared away. Right after there was another chance for Green, who received the ball from a deflection and struck a left footed effort over the bar. 

The Iron pulled a goal back in the 65th minute. Some nice play between Millen, Wood, and Loft resulted in an inviting cross which was converted at the back post by United’s number nine for his second goal of the season.

Five minutes later Millen played in Hippolyte who crossed the ball in, but nobody could connect.

Bola sent the ball in from the left with 13 minutes to go but it was met again by Watson. 

With ten minutes left to play Hallam sent a free kick into the box. It was almost met by Onariase at the far post, but it just evaded him and went out for a goal kick. 

In the 83rd minute, the home side got their third goal of the night. Against the run of play, Odoffin fired a low shot into the net from 25 yards out. 

Late on Pugh had another chance. The Iron played some nice football which ended up with the midfielder striking an effort narrowly over the bar. 

Three minutes of added time were shown before Smith slotted in a fourth goal from close range.

The Iron are next in action on Saturday as they travel to Yorkshire where they’ll play Harrogate Town in League Two. 

ROTHERHAM: Vickers, Edmonds-Green, Ihiekwe, Hull (Wiles, 61), Harding, Sadier, Barlaser (Smith, 61), Odoffin, Bola, Ladapo, Grigg (Rathbone, 61). 

ROTHERHAM SUBS NOT USED: Johansson, Gratton, Durose, Exton. 

IRON: Watson, Millen, Onariase, Davis, Thompson, Wood (Pugh, 75), Greem, Hallam (Hackney, 84), Beestin, Hippolyte, Loft (Jarvis, 71).

IRON SUBS NOT USED: O’Malley, Taft, Collins, Perry. 

ATTENDANCE: 1,439 (134 away).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account