We bring back an annual tradition, as club historian John Staff poses 100 Christmas teasers to test the grey matter of Iron supporters. How many will you know? Get started below.
THE OPPONENTS OF 2020-21
1. Which club did the Iron draw 1-1 against in their first league match of 2020-21?
2. During 2020-21, which Iron player scored two penalties in the campaign?
3. Scunthorpe United obtained one of their best 2020-21 results with a 3-0 home victory on January 23rd 2021, but who were the victims?
4. Which club did United beat 2-1 away from home in their last game of 2020, on December 29th?
5. Which club won 5-0 in North Lincolnshire, but were beaten by Scunthorpe 1-0 on their own ground?
6. Where did the Iron gain three points, with goals by Jacob Bedeau and Kevin Van Veen and no reply from the opposition, in 2020-21?
7. Scunthorpe United’s best result of 2020-21 was on the road, with a 5-2 victory, but which club did the Iron beat?
8. Which club did the Iron fall to in the 2020-21 FA Cup?
9. Which club did United beat 2-0, for their final victory of last season, on March 23rd 2021?
10. Who were the visitors for a match in the group stage of the 2020-21 Papa John’s Trophy, which ended in a 1-1 draw but a 2-4 defeat on penalties?
THE PLAYERS OF 2020-21
11. Which 2021 player had previous experience with Reading, Galatasaray, and Bolton?
12. Which other English EFL club has Kenan Dunnwald-Turan also represented?
13. Which United player of 2020-21 was playing for the Iron in his seventh campaign?
14. Which player, who was signed from Shrewsbury in the 2019-20 season, had played 67 league matches for the Iron and scored 14 goals when 2020-21 was concluded?
15. Which 2020-21 Scunthorpe United player left at the end of the season for a club he had previously been on loan at on two occasions?
16. Which 2020-21 player had previously enjoyed Scottish football at Dunfermline, St Mirren, Livingston and Falkirk?
17. Who is the former Scunthorpe United player of the 2020-21 season that arrived from Rochdale, but departed for Oldham Athletic, after 58 league appearances and one goal?
18. Who was the Scunthorpe player that made seven 2021-22 appearances, and who is now wearing the shirt of Hartlepool United in this present season?
19. Which Iron was a Scunthorpe United player during the 2019-20 season, and returned for a further 14 league appearances in November 2020?
20. Who is the ex-Iron of 49 league appearances and four goals, now plying his trade with Grimsby Town?
SCUNTHORPE UNITED MANAGERS
21. Which former Scunthorpe player and manager is in charge at Motherwell in 2021?
22. Which former Scunthorpe manager joined the Welsh National team’s coaching staff, from a role at Sheffield United?
23. Which Scunthorpe manager went 28 matches from his appointment without defeat?
24. Which Scunthorpe United manager was ‘sacked’ in 2004, but re-instated about two weeks later, after boardroom changes?
25. Which former Scunthorpe United manager is a national team manager in 2021?
26. Who was the first Iron manager in our time at Glanford Park?
27. Which former Iron manager is steering the fortunes of Coventry City in 2021?
28. Which former Iron manager, in charge from 1991 to 1993, passed away in 2017?
29. Which former goalkeeper, and Bangor City manager, later became in charge at Scunthorpe?
30. Which former Scunthorpe United manager once scored two Everton goals in an FA Cup Final?
SCUNTHORPE UNITED GOALKEEPERS
31. Which former Iron goalkeeper joined the club from Blackpool, but in 2021-22 has played at Carlisle United?
32. Who was the keeper between the posts for the Iron on the day Glanford Park staged its first league fixture, in 1988, against Hereford United?
33. Who is the Sheffield United goalkeeper that was at Scunthorpe for 11 league matches on loan in 2019-20, and who has since been on loan at Portsmouth in 2021?
34. Who was the Scunthorpe keeper during the 2013-14 Division Two campaign, of 46 appearances, when the Iron finished runners-up in the table?
35. How many penalties, in the shoot out of the 2009 Play-Off Semi-Final against Milton Keynes Dons, did Joe Murphy face?
36. Who was in charge of the keeper’s gloves for 101 league matches, having signed from West Bromwich Albion, but left for Brentford, and now resides at Middlesbrough?
37. Who has three England caps, up to the start of 2021-22, but whilst at Manchester United played in goal for the Iron on loan in 2011-12?
38. Which former Scunthorpe keeper played 182 league fixtures at Blackpool, but left the club for Sincil Bank at Lincoln?
39. Which ex-Iron keeper had been preceded in the team by his goalscoring Iron father?
40. Now with St Mirren, which keeper did Scunthorpe United loan from Glasgow Rangers in 2018-19?
THE LAST THREE DECADES
41. Against which club did Billy Sharp score his first goal in a 1-0 away victory in 2005-06?
42. Who scored hat-tricks in 2003-04 against Cheltenham Town, Cambridge United and Huddersfield Town?
43. Which club was the Iron’s opponent in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Semi-Final of 2008-09?
44. When Scunthorpe left the Championship at the end of 2010-11, which team did they play out a 1-1 draw against in the last match of the season?
45. Against which club did the Iron gain a 4-1 away win, with goals by Gary Hooper, Garry Thompson (two) and Jonathan Forte, on January 9th 2010?
46. Who were the visitors to our home on the day the League One championship trophy was presented to the club, after Scunthorpe won 3-0?
47. Which popular Iron amassed 371 league appearances and 40 goals in two spells?
48. After close on fifty years, United returned to the Championship level in 2007, but where was their first fixture, and what was the result?
49. Who scored the winning goal of the Wembley Play-Off Final in 2009 for the Iron?
50. Alex Calvo-Garcia famously won Scunthorpe United promotion with his Wembley winner in 1999, but during the 1998-99 season what was the number of his shirt for the vast majority of the games?
THE OLD SHOW GROUND
51. Jack Brownsword scored 50 goals as a full back, mainly from the penalty spot, but how many goals did he score that were not penalty kicks?
52. Barrie Thomas scored five goals in an 8-1 victory, in April 1965, but which club did the Iron beat?
53. Scunthorpe United beat Leeds United in the Third Round of the FA Cup in 1984, after three matches, but who equalised for the Iron in the 1-1 draw at Elland Road?
54. Who were the visitors for the very last match of any description at the Old Show Ground in 1988?
55. Which player joined the club in 1972-73, but then went on to national fame as a manager at 18 different appointments, and has managed in over 1,000 games?
56. Which First Division club visited the Old Show Ground for an FA Cup Replay, after United had drawn away 1-1, during a power strike in 1974?
57. Which aristocratic visitors arrived for a League Cup Third Round match in 1968, scoring all the goals in a 6-1 defeat for the Iron, with the home goal being an own goal?
58. In the 1965-66 season United drew 4-4 against Millwall, but who was the visiting keeper destined to pick up a European Cup winning medal with Manchester United?
59. Which club did United find themselves 2-0 down to in their final year at the Old Show Ground with three minutes left on the clock, in 1987-88, but were 3-2 winners at full time?
60. At the end of which season did Kevin Keegan play his final game for Scunthorpe United?
SCUNTHORPE UNITED RECORDS
61. To the nearest 1,000, what is the biggest Football League attendance for a Scunthorpe United home match, and which club visited for the fixture?
62. How many FA Cup Fourth Round matches have Scunthorpe United had victories in?
63. Whilst being signed as a Scunthorpe United player, who has most international caps?
64. Which player joined Scunthorpe in their club record transfer fee paid?
65. Who visited Scunthorpe in 1954, on the occasion of their all-time record gate of 23,735, for the FA Cup?
66. Which Scottish Premier League giants did Gary Hooper sign for in the summer of 2010, for a club record fee received?
67. In which season was Scunthorpe United’s best average attendance of 12,377 per match?
68. What was the score and opponent on the occasion of the Iron’s record away Football League result?
69. Who has been the youngest Scunthorpe player at 16 years and 201 days?
70. Whilst a Football League club, what is their best FA Cup result, and which team did they beat?
SCUNTHORPE UNITED FULL-BACKS
71. Which local footballer came through the ranks, playing 100 league appearances from 2000 until 2007, before moving on to play at Cheltenham Town and Grimsby Town?
72. Which defender came to Scunthorpe on loan from Sunderland for 2002-03, but signed permanently from 2003 until 2012, later returning for another loan spell from Oldham Athletic.
73. Which full-back came through the youth system and made 133 league appearances from 2003-10, but re-joined the club after a loan spell from Sheffield United?
74. An unsung hero of 455 league appearances, who was the full-back from Barnsley who enjoyed both matches at the Old Show Ground and Glanford Park?
75. Usually a left-sided player, who had two Scunthorpe spells and is known for his Play-Off Semi Final goal against Swansea in 1999?
76. Who started his career at Grimsby Town, but made his league debut at Scunthorpe United, before taking in spells at Halifax, Northampton, Macclesfield, Port Vale and Chesterfield?
77. Which full-back played for the Iron during the 2006-07 Championship winning season, and won caps with New Zealand?
78. Which Rotherham-born full-back made his initial career of 104 league appearances at Glanford Park from 1995 until 1998, then moved up the scales to play at Port Vale until 2007?
79. Who was the Scunthorpe defender, previously at Blackburn and Preston, who played 122 league appearances between 2011 and 2015, before moving to York City?
80. Who was the Scunthorpe defender of 1994 until 1996, who could boast of more than 1,000 career appearances when he retired?
81. Which ex-Rochdale midfield player signed for the Iron from Burton Albion, then departed back to Rochdale in 2020?
82. Which talented midfield man played 81 league appearances, scoring 11 goals for Scunthorpe, between 1993 and 1995, having previously been at Barnsley and Stockport, but later had spells at Bradford City and Peterborough?
83. Nick-named ‘Ticker’, who was the man patrolling the Scunthorpe middle park in the early days of Glanford Park?
84. Signed in 2008 from Barnsley, which Iron player made 159 league appearances, scoring five goals, until departing in 2012 for Chesterfield?
85. Who was the Iron’s American dynamo signed from Huddersfield, but left for Derby County before returning to ‘Town.’
86. Who was the player, said by Brian Laws to put bums on seats, able to celebrate goals with somersaults?
87. Which midfield general was signed from Blackpool, left for Mansfield, and from 2014 to 2018 appeared in 154 league games, scoring 11 goals?
88. Although he started at Sheffield Wednesday, who did Scunthorpe United sign for midfield in 2013 from Cowdenbeath, but left for Grimsby Town in 2016?
89. Which midfield magician signed from Bradford City in 2016, and went on to score an incredible 35 league goals in 107 appearances before his departure for Fleetwood in 2019?
90. Who was the attacking midfield man, signed from Bolton by Brian Laws in 2004, at first on loan, but departed to Carlisle in 2008 after 163 league appearances and 14 goals?
COMMANDING BACK FOUR IRON'S
91. Which Iron centre-back played in the early days of Glanford Park and was nick-named ‘wooosh’ after the way we cleared the ball unceremoniously up the park?
92. Which towering central defender arrived from Bradford City in 2017, but departed for Exeter City in 2020 after 100 league appearances, during which time he converted four goals?
93. Which former Nottingham Forest trainee was signed by Scunthorpe United in 1993, becoming instrumental in the promotion of 1998-99, but departed in 2000 for Gillingham?
94. Which huge central defender joined Scunthorpe United from Torquay United, but later won League Cup and Scottish International honours at Leicester City?
95. Which Doncaster-born player came on as a substitute at Leyton Orient in 2002, assisted in two promotions, but left in 2008 for Huddersfield, and then returned to the club in 2019?
96. Which former Falkirk and Huddersfield centre-back came from the latter, at first on loan in 2015, then was transferred from Scunthorpe to Millwall in 2018?
97. Which locally produced central defender, with Eire roots, played at the club between 2009 and 2016, before a move to Rochdale?
98. Which former Doncaster Rovers central pivot played at Scunthorpe between 2006 and 2007, assisting in the promotion campaign, eventually signing for Darlington?
99. Which centre-back player left Huddersfield for Scunthorpe, and except for a spell with Watford, was an Iron from 2008 until 2017?
100. Which defensive pivot arrived at Scunthorpe after more than 200 appearances with Doncaster in 1985, and played another 200 games in all competitions for the Iron until 1992?
Click here to see all the answers