Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-0 Tranmere Rovers

10 April 2021

Scunthorpe drew 0-0 at home for the second time in succession, as they held Tranmere Rovers, who had been in the top three prior to the game, to a goal-less draw.

The Iron entered the fixture making four changes from the side that lost 2-0 at Carlisle in midweek.

George Taft, Kevin van Veen, Myles Hippolyte and Johl;n McAtee came in for Jordan Clarke, Ryan Loft, Devarn Green and Lewis Spence.

The third minute saw Alfie Beestin and van Veen press the Tranmere defence to put the ball back to goalkeeper Joe Murphy, with the latter almost stealing in before the former United goalkeeper cleared.

Three minutes later, Van Veen was almost in as McAtee slotted the ball between two defenders. The central defender held the ball between his legs to prevent the Dutchman getting possession and it resulted in a free-kick to the Iron.

From it, Mason O’Malley teed up van Veen, but his low effort was blocked by the wall. Jacob Bedeau was lurking for the loose ball but Tranmere managed to clear.

With nine minutes gone, Tranmere's Kaiyne Woolery latched onto a ball through the middle, with his first touch taking the ball onto his left foot before he sent a left-footed half-volley wide.

On ten minutes, the Iron raced down the left after neat touches from McAtee and van Veen with Hippolyte overlapping. The latter crossed, with a deflection coming out to Alex Gilliead who couldn’t quite nip past the defender with possession.

Tranmere then counter-attacked from that Iron move, with a ball across the box from the left dealt with by O’Malley before Teddy Howe won the ball back on the edge of the area.

Shortly after, Woolery sent a left-footed shot wide of the target from the edge of the box, with Watson comfortably seeing the ball past his left-hand post.

With 18 minutes gone, van Veen charged down a clearance from Peter Clarke, but the ball went out for a goal kick as the Iron continued to press the Tranmere back line out of possession.

Then, a minute later, McAtee stole in on a loose touch from Clarke to get into the area but his effort across goal was well saved by Murphy.

With 21 minutes gone, Rovers' Ali Crawford turned on the edge of the box and had a go from 25-yards, but his shot cleared the stadium.

Five minutes later, O’Malley did well to head behind for a corner as a left-wing cross came into the box searching for Woolery.

On 33 minutes, a cross from the right was cleared, but only as far as Crawford who then saw his volley blocked by Howe out for a corner. The visitors headed wide from the resultant set-piece.

Two minutes later, Paul Lewis latched onto a low, near post cross from the left, but sent his effort wide of the post.

Then, Crawford headed over the bar for Tranmere as he read a deflection on a right-winged cross.

In the 39th minute, Beestin chased the ball back to Murphy a matter of yards from goal and almost dispossessed him, but for a quick turn in the other direction.

Two minutes later, Hippolyte sent a long throw into the area, with the ball taking a glancing touch towards goal, but Murphy gathered.

The start of the second-half saw Taft stay down after an early challenge on the far side of the pitch. Watson gathered and puts the ball out of play for him to receive treatment and he eventually continued.

Four minutes into the second period, Van Veen forced Peter Clarke to clear, but the ball was won back quickly by the Iron who found Gilliead on the edge. He sidestepped his man before angling a low shot across goal and wide.

On 53 minutes, Woolery lashed a 20-yard effort into the stand after the ball was played into him.

A minute later, Gilliead did well to win the ball back and turn away from Crawford before looking to thread in van Veen. Tranmere came away with the ball though.

The 55th minute saw a superb fingertip save from Rory Watson to deny Paul Lewis as he sent his header towards the top corner. It resulted in another corner to the visitors, which United dealt with.

On the hour mark, Hippolyte did well to keep the ball in play following an Iron indirect free-kick before then winning a corner.

Van Veen got the ball back from the corner he took, before a low shot came into the near post which was turned behind for another corner, which the visitors dealt with.

Then, McAtee latched onto a ball down the channel by Jem Karacan before he laid the ball into van Veen. The Dutchman drove forward before being knocked off his stride on the edge of the box. No foul was given though.

With 66 minutes gone, Lewis drew a smart save from Watson before Bedeau put the ball out for a corner.

United then had to deal with a succession of crosses into the box, and set-pieces, but dealt well with the threat.

With 73 minutes gone, van Veen angled a half-volley over the bar after a dangerous cross into the box was headed away by Manny Monthe.

The first Scunthorpe change was four minutes later as Olufela Olomola came on for McAtee.

In the 85th minute, Olomola and Beestin got the Iron going forward with a ball down to van Veen on the right. He had a go from range, but the shot was off-target.

Olomola then fed the ball into Beestin, who exchanged passes with Gilliead before sending a low shot across goal and narrowly wide.

Jai Rowe then came on for Howe at right-back as Scunthorpe made their second alteration.

There were then big shouts for handball in the Tranmere penalty area as Hippolyte crossed into the box, but the referee indicated the ball hit a chest and play continued.

There were four minutes of added time but neither side could make the breakthrough, as Beestin tested Murphy with an effort in the 90th minute, and then van Veen curled over the crossbar from the edge of the area right at the death.

Scunthorpe return to action on Tuesday night when they make the trip to take on Morecambe (6.30pm kick-off).

IRON: Watson, Taft, Bedeau, Gilliead, van Veen, Hippolyte, Beestin, Karacan, Howe (Rowe, 87), O'Malley, McAtee (Olomola, 77).

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Collins, Spence, Mooney, Pugh, Jessop.

TRANMERE: Murphy, Khan, Monthe, Clarke, MacDonald, O'Connor, Crawford (Blackett-Taylor, 73), Feeney (Morris, 78), Lewis, Woolery, Lloyd (Nugent, 64).

TRANMERE SUBS NOT USED: Jones, Ridehalgh, Ray, Kirby.

Advertisement block