Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 1-1 Grimsby Town U18s

26 April 2021

The Iron's Under-18 side gained a point at home to local rivals Grimsby Town in their latest Youth Alliance North East Merit League game on Saturday.

Jack Moore-Billam got United's goal on the day as the side came from a goal down to register a point at Brumby Hall in the second of four additional fixtures onto the end of the season.

The Iron started the game well and won the first corner after two minutes. That cross was then sent in by Ben Franklin and was cleared before the second cross into the ball looped into a dangerous area but was claimed by the visiting goalkeeper.

On four minutes, Franklin was prominent again as he saw a shot blocked before the Mariners broke quickly to win a free-kick on the edge of the box. The resultant kick was high and wide of the target.

Three minutes later, United shot stoppper Ben Crosher was called into action for the first time as a first time shot came in from the edge of the box. Crosher got down well to his right to save and hold the effort.

Less than 60 seconds later, the side were up the other end when Dan Gallimore nipped in on a loose touch before being hauled down as the defender raced to the loose ball. The resultant free-kick, taken by Franklin, was charged down by the wall.

United continued to attack and on 11 minutes won another corner on the left. Franklin and Lewis worked this one short, interchanging to get themselves into the area before Lewis' goal bound shot was blocked for another corner.

On 13 minutes, the Iron could see themselves disappointed not to be in the lead as a corner from Franklin was played short to Lewis. He curled a high, looping cross to the far post, with Oliver Lobley rising highest to bullet a header into the net, but the goal was chalked off for an adjudged infringement.

With 16 minutes gone, the Mariners were on the attack again as a left-footed shot came in from the edge of the box. The effort curled towards the top corner, but was well held by Crosher who got across to it.

A minute later, Moore-Billam and Harrison Poulter both combined, with the return ball into the box finding the latter. He connected to the ball, but saw his shot hit a defender, looping up and over the bar for a corner.

Midway through the first half, one 23 minutes, Grimsby took the lead. The ball was played across the edge of the box from left-to-right, with the overlapping full-back driving an effort across goal towards the corner. Crosher got a strong hand to save the shot, but an away player was running in to smash home the rebound.

Just after the 30-minute mark, Lewis looked to cut a low ball in from the left, but the cross was diverted out for a corner. From the resultant set-piece, the goalkeeper flapped, clattering Poulter, but play continued.

Shortly after, Lewis was involved again as he received the ball from Lobley. Lewis got half a yard inside the box on the left before clipping in a low cross, with the ball ricocheting off a defender, hitting Poulter and rolling agonising wide of the post for a goal kick.

On 34 minutes, the Iron got the equaliser they deserved when Lewis took a good first touch on the left to come inside. He passed into Moore-Billam who controlled, sidestepped his marker before driving a low effort beyond the 'keeper into the bottom right corner of the net.

The Mariners could have gone in at the break ahead still, as they seized on a loose pass on 41 minutes to fire narrowly over the bar after cutting onto the right-sided players' left foot.

Crosher was called into action once more in the half, two minutes later, as the ball was played down the right. Crosher narrowed the angle and charged down the shot before winning a goal kick following the double ricochet off the attacker.

It took until just before the hour mark for the first chance of the second half as substitute Cameron Wilson saw his free-kick over the bar on 57 minutes following a foul on Poulter.

Three minutes later, Poulter himself saw a shot blocked inside the area after he chested down a ball into him from Franklin on the edge of the box.

Grimsby's first chance of the second half came on 63 minutes as a speculative effort from range flew wide of the target.

United were awarded another free-kick in a tempting area on 65 minutes, but this time it was Lewis who failed to hit the target.

With 20 minutes later, the game threatened to get heated as Moore-Billam was on the receiving end of a high tackle. The offender was cautioned, as was another Town player, along with Scunthorpe's skipper Oliver Kemp, for a clash following the reaction to the challenge.

On 73 minutes, Lewis went close to putting the Iron ahead as he cut onto his right foot before seeing his low drive go just wide of the 'keeper's right-hand post. Soon after, Poulter saw his corner met by both an Iron player and a Grimsby player at the same time, with the effort adjudged to have gone over the bar for a goal kick.

Five minutes later, Poulter was yet again brought down on the edge of the area. Wilson's free-kick was on target, beating the wall but not the goalkeeper, who parried. The rebound saw Poulter put the ball over the bar.

With five minutes later, a long punt upfield from Crosher was allowed to bounce before being turned behind for a corner. From the resultant kick, Moore-Billam gained possession and played a one-two with Gallimore. The latter set up the ball on the edge of the box, but Moore-Billam's shot was just wide of the 'keeper's left post.

In the 89th minute, the final chance of the game, Lewis' free-kick into the area was headed wide of the target by Moore-Billam.

IRON: Crosher, Moore, Lewis, Franklin (Pike, 84), Kemp, Lobley, Abraham (Wilson, 55), Moore-Billam, Strouther (Trialist A, 64), Poulter, Gallimore.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account