Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Watford 1-0 Iron

29 August 2020

The Iron were beaten 1-0 on Saturday against Watford at Vicarage Road, and it was another beneficial match under their belts in preparation for the new season.

One minute into the game, Alex Gilliead and Trialist looked to force a mistake from the home defence. The ball was heading for a corner, but a free kick was awarded by the referee.

Two minutes later, George Hornshaw slid in on the halfway mark to win back possession and made the Iron come forward. The referee played a good advantage as Andy Dales picked up possession and chipped the keeper, but the ball just went wide of the post.

On six minutes, Gilliead tracked back to block a potential cross from the left side following an initial clearance from Tyler Cordner.

Jacob Bedeau blocked a goalbound effort from the hosts two minutes later, with Lewis Butroid also looking to put his body on the line. The following right-winged cross was glanced away by Jai Rowe.

14 minutes into the game, Bedeau came across to block a cross before Dales got his foot in and was brought down. No foul was given, but the Iron battled down the left to win a throw.

On 16 minutes, Rory Watson was alert and emerged to the left side of his box following a loose ball. The effort came in, but Watson stood big and blocked the effort.

With 20 minutes gone, the Iron saw good defensive work as Dales, Hornshaw and Frank Vincent hassled the Watford man in possession, as he went to fire a 20-yard effort well wide of the target.

Then, Trialist broke the offside trap down the left side and looked to nip beyond the defender into the area, but the Hornets did well to win back possession.

On 25 minutes, Dales won three 50-50 balls in a matter of seconds before he was clattered. A free kick was given, and Dales was right back on his feet.

29 minutes in, the hosts got their goal as a quick flowing move down the left saw a low cross put across the box, alongside a powerful side-footed finish into the net.

After 35 minutes, Butroid was clattered inside his own penalty area, but the referee wasn’t interested. Cordner turned the ball away for a corner before telling the referee what he thought of the decision.

Then, a brilliant defensive header was made from Gilliead on the 39th minute as he tracked his man at the back post to flick a header away from danger.

On 41 minutes, the ball was fizzed into Trialist, who was fouled from behind as he held up possession. A free kick was given, although Abo Eisa was poised for the advantage.

Three minutes after, alert goalkeeping was seen from Watson, who was aware following a low cross from the left towards the penalty spot. He slid across to gather possession, with a Watford player lurking also.

52 minutes into the game saw a brilliant start to the second half for the Iron. Dales went down the left, cut inside and was fouled. No free kick was given, but Watford came down the other end and saw a shot side-footed wide.

Three minutes later, Gilliead put on the pressure to a Watford player down the left side, who as a result, put his cross into the stand.

With 57 minutes gone, Rowe controlled and played the ball down the right channel through to Trialist. He chested it down before looking to work an opening. The hosts defended.

After 61 minutes, Vincent’s corner was headed clear and the Hornets broke. This resulted in a low shot which was well saved by Watson, who stood strong yet again.

Then, a brilliant block was made from Bedeau as he read the ball dropping to the edge of the box to turn the angled shot wide for a corner, which was cleared by Butroid.

Two minutes after, Watson played short to Butroid who found green down the right channel. He knocked the ball past his man before he was brought down, and a free kick was given.

On 70 minutes, the hosts came down the left side, with a low cross into the box cleared by Bedeau.

Then, Gilliead stole possession and strode forward before his low cross was blocked. Lewis Spence came across to equally apply pressure and won a throw.

Moments later, Spence and Hornshaw defended well inside the penalty area as a Watford player looked to have been slipped in for a shot.

With 88 minutes gone, a nasty tackle came in on substitute Tom Pugh in midfield, who was thankfully okay. If in a competitive fixture, the referee would have had a big decision to make.

Full time saw no extra goals in the second half, but another match under their belts.

IRON: Watson, Bedeau, Gilliead, Eisa (Mooney, 74), Butroid, Dales (Green, 60), Vincent, Rowe (Spence, 66), Cordner, Hornshaw (Pugh, 84), Trialist (Colclough, 63).

UNUSED SUBS: Hallam, Jarvis, Beestin, Kelsey, Shrimpton, O'Malley, McAtee.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account