Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 1-1 Bradford City

28 September 2019

The Iron played out a 1-1 stalemate with Bradford City in Sky Bet League Two with 10 men. Jamie Ward bagged on his home debut before Paudie O’Connor equalised in the second-half to share the spoils at the Sands Venue Stadium.

The Bantams went close, with 11 minutes on the watch. James Vaughan hit the inside of the post and his volley rebounded off Rory Watson before the ‘keeper gathered with Clayton Donaldson bearing down on him.

However, it was the Iron who broke the deadlock with 13 minutes played. Referee Rob Lewis pointed to the spot after new man Jamie Ward’s strike was handballed inside the penalty area.

On his Iron debut, he brushed himself off and stepped up, converting the spot kick as the ball nestled into the right-hand corner.

Minutes later, the Iron were a man light. Matthew Lund was given his marching orders for a late challenge on a Bantams player.

Bradford were forced to make an early change as Hope Akpan replaced Matthew Palmer, as the latter withdrew from injury.

On the half hour mark, the Iron threatened. Rory McArdle looked to release Ward who accelerated down the flank before his delivery into the box was cut out and cleared away.

Regan Slater saw his effort blocked, with five minutes until the half-time whistle. Ryan Colclough played the corner out to the edge of the box where Slater was waiting. The winger checked onto his left foot before unleashing a shot which was blocked.

At the other end of the pitch, Watson made a great save to deny Donaldson. The shot-stopper turned his effort around the post and the resulting corner came to nothing for the visitors.

Just before the break, Wood whipped a ball into the box, aiming for Donaldson at the back post but the latter headed inches wide of the upright.

Four minutes into the second period, the visitors fashioned an opening. Vaughan flicked on to Donaldson from a delivery from the left but the latter couldn’t connect properly.

The Iron should have doubled their advantage on 53 minutes. Slater picked out Colclough on the left and the latter took on his marker and crossed for Ward. The debutant almost made it 2-0 but his effort lacked conviction and was comfortable for Richard O’Donnell.

Three minutes later, Bradford were back on level terms. Paudie O’Connor made the scoresheet, heading home from Harry Pritchard’s cross to make it 1-1.

With 63 minutes on the watch, Connor Wood’s ball into the box fell for Vaughan but the striker blasted over the bar from close range.

Moments after replacing Slater, substitute Kgosi Ntlhe made a goal-saving block to keep out Donaldson after Akpan threaded the ball through to the striker in the box.

Lee Novak made his much awaited return from injury, coming on in place of Ward in the 77th minute.

The striker headed the ball off the line for his first involvement in the game. Donaldson flicked the ball on from the corner kick but Novak was well positioned to keep the scoreline at 1-1.

With seven minutes remaining, Kelvin Mellor fired over the bar after McArdle blocked from a Bantams player; the captain putting his body in the way of a shot.

Aramide Oteh tested Watson late on but the Iron ‘keeper was equal to it and the contest finished 1-1.

IRON: Watson, Lund, Songo’o, Colclough (Dales 85’), Ward (Novak 77’), Perch, Gilliead, McArdle, McGahey, Slater (Ntlhe 67’), Brown.

IRON UNUSED SUBS: Eastwood, Sutton, Miller, Eisa.

BRADFORD: O’Donnell, Mellor, P. O’Connor, A. O’Connor, Pritchard, Donaldson (McCartan 90+2’), Vaughan, Palmer (Akpan 62’), Connolly (Oteh 82’), Wood, Cooke.

BRADFORD UNUSED SUBS: Hornby, French, Henley, Devine.


Advertisement block