Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-0 Stevenage

2 November 2019

A windy and rainy Sands Venue Stadium played host to a stalemate 90 minutes which saw both teams walk away with a point after a 0-0 draw.

The Iron’s goalie Jake Eastwood was put through his paces within the first three minutes, closely pushing away a Stevenage chance saving the home side from going 1-0 down.

United came back fighting within minutes, hitting back with a counter-attack forcing Stevenage to chase them into the home side's territory. Ryan Colclough then made a run, storming down the left wing into the box 12 minutes into the half, but seeing his attack curtailed.

A 14th minute injury for Stevenage saw Chris Stokes on the ground clutching his head after a tackle, pausing play temporarily.

Another close chance came for the Iron after 18 minutes from Kevin van Veen, whose free-kick was tipped inches past the right post.

A minute later, the hosts came close again as Colclough’s corner was intercepted by Andy Butler but was then called offside as Lee Novak gained possession of the ball.

Eastwood made another excellent save 22 minutes into the game as Stevenage’s Charlie Carter’s shot was pounced on by the home shotstopper, who came leaping through the Scunthorpe defence to deny them.

A last first half Iron chance came from a foul on Levi Sutton, which saw the home side awarded a free-kick, which Kevin van Veen floated into the box before the call of the whistle saw the teams walk off at the break.

In the 50th minute, the Iron attacked, with a Colclough cross into the box kicked out of play by the away side.

Yann Songo’o then came close with his first chance of the game, intercepting another Colclough corner, heading it just over the crossbar.

The rainy conditions started to prove challenging, and the first card of the came on the 58th minute as Stevenage’s Michael Timlin was awarded a yellow card after a foul on Sutton.

A Colclough free kick was then chipped into box and intercepted by Junior Brown, which lead to a scuffle in the box which confused even the referee, who eventually awarded the home side a corner.

With the home fans loudly behind their team and Stevenage rattled, it gave the Iron an upper hand.

A 70th minute Stevenage corner was well defended by the Iron and headed away from the goal, giving the home side a chance to attack down the left before another cross was sent into the box, which Novak just couldn't get on the end of.

Stevenage’s Kurtis Guthrie gave the away side their first real chance of the second half 72 minutes in as his shot on goal just shaved the right post.

Colclough then came close again minutes later, with Stevenage goalkeeper Paul Farman only just getting his fingers to the ball pushing it just over the cross bar, denying the Iron a 1-0 lead.

A Kelland Watts header was well caught by Eastwood with 14 minutes of the match left, and both teams still looking for a goal.

Stevenage’s missed chances kept coming with Guthrie’s shot going over the crossbar once again, but the Iron still had the upper hand in play and possession as time neared the end.

A late chance by Colclough gave home fans hope, but he was ruled offside anyway as he glanced a Songo'o shot towards goal with his head.

Both sides had to settle for a point on the day.

IRON: Jake Eastwood, Yann Songo’o, Andy Butler (C), Ryan Colclough, Kevin van Veen (Jamie Proctor, 33), James Perch, Lee Novak, Alex Gilliead (Abu Eisa, 30), Levi Sutton, Harrison McGahey, Junior Brown.

IRON UNUSED SUBS: Rory Watson, Jordan Clarke, Rory McArdle, Jacob Bedeau, John McAtee.

STEVENAGE: Paul Farman, Chris Stokes, Scott Cuthbert (C), Charlie Carter, Terence Vancooten, Dean Parrett, Kelland Watts, Kurtis Guthrie, Charlie Lakin, Tyler Denton, Michael Timlin.

STEVENAGE UNUSED SUBS: Sasha Bastien, Joel Byrom, Jason Cowely, Emmanuel Sonupe, Arthur Iontton, Ben Nugent, Craig Mackail-Smith.


Advertisement block