Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 1-2 Wigan Athletic U18s

20 January 2019

Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 1-2 Wigan Athletic U18s

20 January 2019

The Iron’s Under-18 youth team lost 2-1 in the EFL Youth Alliance Cup Area Semi-Final against a strong Wigan Athletic team.

Miracle Okafor fired the Iron in front inside the opening eight minutes, before the away side equalised later in the first-half.

United then conceded a penalty in the final stages of the game, which was converted.

It was a fantastic team performance from the side, but United were disappointed to not take the game to a penalty shootout.

The Iron started brightly when Levi Gallimore broke down the left side in the second minute and his cross was deflected away.

Continuing to press forward, United won a free-kick, which was sent into the box by Tom Pugh. Okafor rose the highest in the area, but the goalkeeper caught the ball from his header.

In the eighth minute, Okafor did score and put the Iron 1-0 up. Again from a free-kick, Raynner Silva’s delivery was met by the forward, who volleyed the ball into the bottom left corner.

Three minutes later, Wigan had their first sighting of goal. A cross was deflected into the box, but Iron goalkeeper Tom Collins pulled off a great save.

Still looking a threat from free-kicks, Okafor was presented with an opportunity after a well-worked set-piece. The Iron’s goalscorer saw his header tipped over the crossbar by the Wigan goalkeeper.

Wigan got their equaliser in the 31st minute after hitting the Iron on the counter-attack. They attacked down the right-wing and crossed the ball to the far post, which was tapped home.

One minute later, Okafor went down injured and carried through until half-time, but was replaced by Harry Jessop at the break.

At the beginning of the second period, the Iron had a couple of chances. Firstly, Pugh struck the ball just over the bar from the edge of the box, before Gallimore drove down the left-wing, but no-one could get on the end of his cross.

Collins then made another fine stop with his feet when Wigan’s centre forward hit a driven shot at the target.

On the 85th minute, Wigan broke away and a shot from 20 yards was parried by Collins. Trying to get the rebound, the Iron conceded a penalty, which was then converted home.

Trying to find a late equaliser, the Iron threw bodies forward. Gallimore progressed down the right-hand side, but the goalkeeper managed to claim the cross. 

It was a solid performance against a strong Wigan side from the Iron’s Under-18 team, but a 2-1 defeat means they have been knocked out of the EFL Youth Alliance Cup.

Scunthorpe United: Tom Collins, Baker (Wilson, 89’), Harrison, Busby (Wilkinson, 89’), Barks, Pugh, Gallimore, Dawson (Shrimpton, 64’), Okafor (Jessop, 46’), Louis Collins, Silva.
Unused substitute: Riches.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account