Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-5 Fleetwood Town

22 August 2018

The Iron fell to a 5-0 defeat against Fleetwood Town on Wednesday night.

United made four changes to the side that lost to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Sunday.

Funso Ojo made his first start of the season following injury in place of Matthew Lund. Defensive duo Rory McArdle and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson were recalled into the back-line in place of Charlie Goode and Lewis Butroid, while Stephen Humphrys also came into the starting eleven for Lee Novak.

United got the game started and looked bright early on. James Perch snatched possession from the visitors before teeing up Humphrys, who unleashed a shot on goal inside the first five minutes, but his effort was blocked and cleared away from danger. 

Shortly after, Fleetwood had their first chance of the match. A flick by Ashley Hunter found former Iron striker Paddy Madden, who dragged his shot wide of the target on his return to Glanford Park. 

12 minutes in, and Scunthorpe forced Alex Cairns in the Fleetwood goal into his first save of the day. Andy Dales regained possession in the centre of the pitch to set up a counter-attack. He played the ball to Josh Morris on the right flank, who cut inside but curled his effort straight into the grasp of the goalkeeper. 

Fleetwood then looked to assert themselves and had a shot that cannoned off the bar after 14 minutes when Hunter’s low drive was deflected off Cameron Burgess and onto the upright before going out for a corner that was well dealt with by the iron defence. 

However, the away side did find themselves a goal up in the 16thminute courtesy of Ched Evans who followed the ball in after Madden had his initial shot saved well by Rory Watson. 

Minutes later, and the visitors had two, with Evans adding to his goalscoring tally after 19 minutes. A ball in was aimed towards the back post, where Evans was lurking and rose highest to head home for Fleetwood. 

As United searched for a way back into the game, Town hit them on the counter and grabbed a third in the 21st minute. Wes Burns was found down the middle with a threaded throughball and carried it towards goal before he slotted it into the corner of the net to put the away side in control.

Dales had a great chance to get on the scoresheet after 26 minutes, but Cairns made a great save with his legs to deny the midfielder a goal after he was put through by a brilliant pass from George Thomas. 

The Iron pushed for a goal, but it was Fleetwood who had the ball in the back of the net again in the 29th minute through Burns, who grabbed his second of the game. Madden played a pass into the forward who made no mistake and stroked the ball home. 

Scunthorpe continued to press and Morris came close to scoring 31 minutes in, after he raced down the left-hand side before sending in a low cross that was deflected towards goal. Cairns did well to stop with his legs again to maintain the lead for the visitors going into the half-time interval. 

Following the break, Fleetwood extended their advantage. Hunter picked up the ball on the edge of the area on the left before he curled the ball into the top corner in the 57th minute.

Cairns had to be alert again when a whipped ball into the area from Jordan Clarke looked dangerous, but the goalkeeper held on well to gather possession back for the away team. 

However, Fleetwood attacked again and almost had another when an over the top ball found Burns on the run. The striker connected with it on the volley, but his effort flew over the top of the crossbar. 

United then had a chance of their own when substitute Ryan Colclough won a corner. The ball was aimed towards the back post where Borthwick-Jackson was waiting. He superbly brought the ball down before he laid it off to Ojo who saw his shot blocked. The follow up from Dales was hit straight at Cairns who did well to hold onto the ball after 74 minutes.

In the 84th minute, the iron won a free-kick wide on the right after Colclough showed good strength to run down the flank before he got brought down. Morris delivered the ball into the box, but Fleetwood stood firm to clear.

Ojo unleashed a shot from outside the box going into the last five minutes of the game that was blocked on its way through to Cairns. However, the keeper was alert to the diversion on the ball and handled it well which proved to be the last attack of the match.

The Iron are back in action at Glanford Park on Saturday as they face Barnsley. 

Scunthorpe United: Watson, Clarke, Borthwick-Jackson, Ojo, Humphrys (Novak, 69), Morris, Dales, Perch (Horsfield, 85), Thomas (Colclough, 59), Burgess, McArdle.
Substitutes not used: Flatt, Lund, Goode, Butroid.

Fleetwood Town: Cairns, Coyle, Holt, Eastham, Burns, Evans (Grant, 62), Madden (Long, 78) Morgan, Hunter (McAleny, 70), Marney, Husband.
Substitutes not used: Jones, Spurr, Biggins, Sheron.

Referee: Carl Boyeson.

Attendance: 3,465.

Advertisement block