Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U18's provide spirited fightback to draw 3-3 with Doncaster Rovers

15 September 2017

The Iron’s Under-18 team provided a spirited comeback from 3-0 down at half time to draw 3-3 against Doncaster Rovers in the group stage of the Youth Alliance Cup.

In what was the epitome of a game of two halves, Joe Busby, Louis Collins and Cameron Morfoot were all on target in a ten-minute second half spell to restore parity and earn the side a point.

United started the game reasonably well and attacked with a purpose, similar to that of the opening three competitive games so far during the campaign, but fell behind as Doncaster Rovers provided some slick counter-attacking football to go 1-0 up. 

Full credit would go to the visitors for their defensive work and they would hit Scunthorpe with clinical attacks on two further occasions before the interval to put Rovers in a commanding 3-0 lead.

The difference would be visible in the second half with the Iron players raising the intensity of their game both in and out of possession. United would get tighter to their opposition and prevented Doncaster from playing the same football that was fruitful for them in the opening 45 minutes. In possession, the side would cause their counterparts a number of problems and inevitably put them on the back foot.

The increased level of purpose going forward would see Scunthorpe create a number of chances in front of goal, with the first goal pulled back ten minutes after half time. It would be an individual effort as Busby won the ball on the half way line, cutting inside and firing an effort into the top corner with a composed finish.

Momentum would be firmly with the Iron and on 62 minutes the scoreline was brought back to 3-2. It was a well-worked goal starting with Miracle Okafor who drove forward into the final third of the pitch. He committed the central defender, forcing him out of the game, before slipping a ball into Collins who finished with a left-footed strike.

Just three minutes later, the Iron would draw level with their local rivals from a set-piece. Centre-back Morfoot would connect with a set-piece to convert home like a centre-forward.

The Iron would have a couple of half chances to take the lead with set-pieces between then and the end of the game, but settled for a point following a second half performance full of character.

TEAM: Kelsey, Colclough, E. Train, Hornshaw, Lilley, Morfoot, Busby (Porter, 75), Pugh (Okafor, 67), Collins, Allasan (Harrison, 85), Ablett.

UNUSED: Riches.

Advertisement block