Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Iron's academy side defeated at Winterton Rangers

6 July 2017

Harvey Ablett netted for the Iron's academy in a 4-1 defeat against a first team Winterton Rangers side at West Street.

The United youngsters started brightly and almost broke through early on with some neat play down the channels, but couldn't find an early attempt in front of goal.

Adam Kelsey, who played in between the sticks for Scunthorpe in the first half, was first called upon to comfortably save a 20 yard effort before he made a superb save from point blank range later on in the half when the scoring looked destined to be opened.

The Iron thought they had taken the lead soon after when neat play down the left saw the ball squared into the area. The initial shot was saved well by the home 'keeper before the rebound was put just wide of the mark.

Kelsey was called into action on three more occasions before the end of the half, twice punching and once gathering the ball as he commanded his area well over his 45 minute stint as shotstopper.

The hosts broke the deadlock from a set piece via the head of Chaz Fisher on 28 minutes as he bulleted a head into the top left-hand corner of the net following a cross from the left.

On 30 minutes, the academy side made their first alterations of the game to freshen up the ranks - with roll on, roll off substitutions in operation. It was United who had a further chance to equalise before the interval, but couldn't find space to test the goalkeeper despite more promising build-up play.

The visiting side also defended well in the closing stages of the half, with the score remaining 1-0 at half time.

Winterton Rangers rang the changes during the half time break and the fresh legs showed in the opening six minutes of the second half as they surged into a 3-0 lead. Paul Grimes and Elliot Broughton both breached the United backline from through balls to twice slot into the net - despite the best efforts of substitue 'keeper Sam Riches who got his body in the way of both efforts.

Those goals had come on 47 and 51 minutes respectively, but the youngsters didn't give up hope and were handed a lifeline barely 30 seconds after the restart. 

Lewis Meakin received a forward pass shortly after kick-off and cut inside from the left wing, shimmying past one defender and side-stepping another before being brought down in the area, with a spot kick duly awarded.

Ablett stepped up to dispatch the kick into the left-hand corner - a terrific strike which gave the goalkeeper no chance, despite diving the right way.

Rangers added a fourth goal to their scoreline on 55 minutes as Elliot Broughton again found the net from just inside the area after latching onto a ball, muscling his way into the area and firing past Riches.

With time still left on the clock to play, the Iron made further changes on 61 minutes and played exceptionally well towards the end of the game, moving forward at every opportunity.

George Hornshaw fired a free kick over the bar, while neat play in the middle of the part almost saw David Allasan through on goal but for good defending. The Winterton 'keeper was also called into action once again to deny a shot, with the U18 side ending proceedings on a high.

IRON STARTING XI: Kelsey, Pugh, Bartholomew, Lilley, Sackey, Kalu, Train, Hornshaw, Busby, Allasan, Ablett.

IRON SUBSTITUTES: Meakin, Harrison, Colclough, Train, Morfoot, Riches.

Roll on, roll off substitutions were in operation. The Iron made alterations on 30 and 61 minutes respectively, with Sam Riches replacing Adam Kelsey in goal at half time.


Advertisement block