Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


24 January 2017

The Iron emerged 4-2 victors from their behind-closed-doors friendly with a Leeds United Under-23s side at Thorp Arch on Tuesday afternoon.

Goals from Hakeeb Adelakun, Jonathon Margetts, Kyle Wootton and Jack King made sure of the win for the side, in a game which saw Conor Townsend make a successful return to action and David Mirfin step up his comeback following injury lay-offs.

Scunthorpe began the game on the front foot as, following good play from Jamie Ness and Wootton, Luke Williams was fouled. The resulting free-kick was taken by the midfielder, who subsequently curled the ball just wide of the left hand post.

Moments later, the Iron were dangerous again, as Margetts tested the Leeds ‘keeper Will Huffer with an acrobatic effort.

It didn’t take long for the pressure to pay off however. Adelakun was the man who opened the scoring, as he steered the ball in off the left-hand post from 20 yards after good build-up play from the Iron.

Proceedings were going very much in the away side’s favour early on, and Margetts then broke the offside trap on 13 minutes before drawing Huffer into a fine stop.

More work for Huffer soon arrived, but he reacted well to Williams’ curling effort minutes later.

Adelakun, who’d already found the back of the net once already, was in the mood for more, and he would have doubled his tally if not for Huffer, who tipped his long-range effort over the crossbar on 26 minutes.

Ten minutes prior to the half time interval, Margetts thought he’d extended the Iron’s lead but, despite rounding Huffer and finishing well, the flag was raised for offside.

Encouraged by this, Leeds then went on the attack themselves, forcing Joe Anyon into his first save of the afternoon. Eoghan Stokes’ effort was on target. However, the Scunthorpe stopper held on comfortably to send the visitors in ahead at the break.

Almost immediately after the restart, that advantage was doubled as Margetts was pushed in the penalty area, resulting in a penalty kick being awarded. Margetts then stepped up and sent Huffer the wrong way.

Frustration was then in the offing for Margetts as, for the second time in the match, he saw a strike chalked off after firing home from Adelakun’s square pass.

Some superb goalkeeping from Anyon preserved the two goal buffer on the 54 minute mark, with the Iron ‘keeper getting down well to get a strong hand to Stokes’ free kick.

Shortly after, it was the turn of Huffer to produce another two fine stops - both from Williams, whose strikes were equally as testing for the stopper.

With near enough an hour on the clock, Lewis Butroid took the place of Townsend, who came through almost 60 minutes after his injury.

Two soon became three for the away side, with Wootton the man this time getting in on the act. Matt Crooks’ square ball was inch perfect, leaving the striker to then delicately chip the ball into the back of the net.

More fine work from Anyon on 63 minutes ensured the scoreline remained 3-0 as, not for the first time, he foiled the Whites with some excellent shotstopping.

Leeds’ endeavour did finally pay off shortly after when Stokes curled the ball neatly into the corner of the goal.

The three goal advantage was quickly restored though, as King smashed the ball home, following Williams’ corner being palmed into his path.

There was still time for Leeds to pull one more back, with Mallik Wilks finishing well after a sustained period of pressure from the home side.

Wilks’ strike would prove to be the last action, on an afternoon where the Iron turned in a professional display to secure victory.

IRON: Anyon, Sutton, Mirfin (Sackey 73), King (McMichael 79), Townsend (Butroid 59), Adelakun, Crooks, Ness (Dean-Atkinson 73), Williams, Wootton (Dyche 73), Margetts (Sithole 79).

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block