Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 1-1 AFC Wimbledon

5 August 2017

Scunthorpe drew their opening game of the season 1-1 with AFC Wimbledon at Glanford Park.

Club News

Gallery: AFC Wimbledon (H)

5 August 2017

The home side took the lead just six minutes into the match through Conor Townsend, who drilled his shot into the top corner.

However, a second-half strike from Jimmy Abdou in the 67th minute for Wimbledon made it 1-1.

Manager Graham Alexander gave league debuts to goalkeeper Matt Gilks, Funso Ojo, Cameron Burgess and captain Rory McArdle for this match.

The Iron got off to a flying start inside six minutes with Townsend smashing home a strike right into the top corner after Josh Morris played it into the wing-back. There was absolutely nothing the Don’s goalkeeper George Long could do to prevent Scunthorpe going 1-0 ahead.

Five minutes later, the visitors had their first chance of the game, but former Iron player Andy Barcham’s curled effort was of no threat to Gilks in United’s goal as it went wide of the right post.

Deji Oshilaja then picked out Cody McDonald, who had lots of time to control and turn, however he his connection was poor and his shot was sliced wide.

Moments later, Wimbledon were attacking again. Barcham entered the box, twisting and turning, before his effort was blocked by McArdle and went out for a corner.

In the 19th minute, Iron progressed well up the pitch, initially started by a long ball by Hakeeb Adelakun. Paddy Madden then cut it from the left-hand side, sending a dangerous cross into the box and at the back post, Adelakun’s volley went high and wide.

Wimbledon then had their best chance of the game after Murray Wallace was caught out in possession on the left of the box. Barry Fuller sent in a threatening cross, which found Kwesi Appiah, who was completely unmarked, but his drilled strike went wide.

A poor headed clearance from the Wombles fell to Madden 25-yards out and on the volley, his shot was comfortable for Long to scoop it up.

Thirty-five minutes in, Scunthorpe played neat football down the left and Morris crossed the ball, but Jordan Clarke was unable to get a good connection with head at the back post as it floated over the crossbar.

Wimbledon’s George Francomb sent in a free-kick which was headed away to Callum Kennedy who unleashed a strike heading towards the top left-hand corner, but Gilks managed to claw it away for a corner.

A minute later, and the Iron then had the next opportunity with Adelakun running and passing it to Madden, who was central and just outside of the box, yet his strike was too near to Long to be of any concern to the Dons.

Adelakun was then involved in another attack. He went on a mazy run and went to shoot towards goal, but he was charged down and his effort was blocked.

Moments before the break, Scunthorpe had another shot this time through Morris’ free-kick. He curled it around the wall and Long dived to his right to save the ball.

The first chance of the second-half fell to the away side on the 58th minute. Wimbledon managed to cross the ball in, before Abdou lashed his shot high over the bar.

Adelakun then broke forward once more and he found Morris on the left side, but the winger’s shot went wide of Long’s right post and Iron were unable to double their advantage.

On the 66th minute, Wimbledon found an equaliser through debutant Abdou. The ball fell kindly for the midfielder on the edge of the area and his left-footed volley went straight into the bottom right-corner to make it 1-1.

Soon after, Lyle Taylor received a pass from McDonald and he attempted to fire it into the near post, but his effort hit the side netting with Scunthorpe avoiding to fall behind.

They came close again when a corner was taken and Paul Robinson met it with his head, but Gilks managed to superbly stop it from going into the back of the net.

Scunthorpe then beautifully attacked with Adelakun and Kevin van Veen on the 82nd minute. As the Dons managed to get bodies behind the ball, Ojo fired his long-range shot over the bar.

In the 86th minute, Sam Mantom crossed from the left, but Clarke’s header was was collected by Long.

The away side had a great chance seconds before the end of the match. McDonald teed it up for Taylor, but his dragged shot went wide of the right post. That proved to be the game’s last action with it ending 1-1.

Scunthorpe United: Gilks, Clarke, Townsend, Wallace, Ojo, Madden (van Veen, 74), Morris (Holmes, 74), Bishop (Mantom, 50), Adelakun, Burgess, McArdle.
Substitutes not used: Watson, Hopper, Redmond, Goode.

AFC Wimbledon: Long, Fuller, Oshilaja, Robinson, Francomb, Abdou, Appiah (Taylor, 65), McDonald, Trotter (Parrett, 89), Barcham, Kennedy (Nightingale, 83).
Substitutes not used: McDonnell, Sibbick, Kaja, Hartigan.

Attendance: 4,398.

Advertisement block