Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Under-18 side beaten by Mansfield

8 April 2017

The Iron's academy side were narrowly beaten 1-0 at Brumby Hall by top-of-the-table Mansfield Town.

The victory meant the Stags open up a seven-point gap over nearest challengers Oldham Athletic. Kieran Harrison's second half header was the only difference between the sides in a tight affair.

United ‘keeper Adam Kelsey pulled off a great save early on to deny Hakeem from ten yards following a couple of half-openings for each side.

The Iron's first meaningful attack of note fell to George Barmby as he headed wide from a left-winged Lewis Butroid cross. 

Sam Lilley twice put in good defensive challenges in quick succession - which came shortly after more good defensive work - with his display helping United remain goalless at the interval with one attack in particular cleared off the line.

Kelsey was forced into action shortly after the interval to prevent Reittie opening the scoring from Healey's through ball, while Lilley was again on hand to block Ward's shot from the edge of the area.

Midfielder Kyle Porter was forced off shortly after half time with an ankle injury, replaced by Kane Bartholomew.

The Iron's undoing came from a corner, conceded by David Allasan who defended well following a sweeping ball across the goalmouth. However, the only goal of the game came from the resultant kick as Bloor picked out Harrison in the 61st minute with the defender heading home.

Scunthorpe's front two of Barmby and James Dean-Atkinson were both cautioned soon after, with two late challenges as they tried to pick up loose balls and create chances. The visitors also had one man in the book in retaliation to a challenge.

Butroid then provided some more decent defending with Blake, who was seemingly in on goal, seeing his close-range effort blocked by the Iron captain.

On 86 minutes, Dean-Atkinson received his second caution of the match and was subsequently dismissed, but, despite the disadvantage, the Iron rallied for an equaliser which saw the Mansfield 'keeper make one fine save before one shot was blocked and Leslie Sackey's effort deflected wide of the mark.

Barmby, already on a caution, was replaced by Ewan Train late on, while an earlier substitute James Kalu was almost in for a chance but for a brilliantly timed tackle.

Academy manager Tony Daws said: "It was a competitive game with both teams having good possession with chances created at both ends. We defended a number of corners very well and we were just eluding a final shot in front of goal after good play going forward.

"We forced the play after going a goal behind and were unlucky on a number of occasions where we perhaps could have equalised."

IRON: Kelsey, McMichael, Butroid (C), Porter (Bartholemew, 48), Lilley, Sackey, Allasan, Busby (Kalu, 75), Barmby (Train, 87), Dean-Atkinson, Sithole.
IRON UNUSED SUBS: Parker, Moorfoot.

STAGS: Wilson, Bloor, Wilder, Ward, Baldwin, Harrison, Law (Blake, 55), Healey (C), Reittie (Dumbleton, 73), Smith (Behailu, 88), Hakeem.
STAGS UNUSED SUBS: Sundby, Walker.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block