Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 September 2016

United's Under-18 side were 1-0 winners at Doncaster Rovers on Saturday morning.

The Iron made a good start to the game and had a chance in the first minute when James Dean Atkinson found strike partner George Barmby, whose effort was scrambled clear by the Rovers.

United were looking confident and moved the ball around well in the early stages.

On nine minutes, Rovers appealed for a penalty when Iron goalkeeper Sam Richies came out and dived at feet but the referee waved aside their claims.

Within seconds, the Iron were awarded a penalty at the other end when James Dean-Atkinson was clear only to be upended in the penalty area.

Dean-Atkinson stepped up to take the penalty but the home keeper made an excellent save to stop the Iron taking the lead.

On 14 minutes, United did go ahead with a very well-worked goal.

Dean-Atkinson switched the ball across the pitch and Kane Bartholomew played in to Barmby’ s feet on the edge of the Doncaster penalty area.

The striker received and turned in one movement before firing his shot on goal. His effort took a deflection on its way over the home goalkeeper and the Iron had their noses in front.

On 35 minutes, the Iron were forced in to making a change when central defender Sam Lilley could no longer continue after picking up an injury.

The Iron were forced into a tactical re-shuffle of the personnel just before they went in at half-time.

At the start of the second half, David Allasan had an excellent chance to make it 2-0 but his sidefooted effort from 10 yards lacked the power to beat the Rovers keeper.

The home team were having a lot of possession but it was the Iron who almost scored again just after the hour.

Working well down the left side of the pitch, Nate Sithole put in an excellent cross that was deflected onto the crossbar as United couldn’t quite find the rebound before Rovers cleared.

The visitors were having to defend well and they showed great team spirit and determination to do so until the final whistle as the Iron recorded their second league win of the season.

Academy Manager Tony Daws said: "It was a very tough game for us today against a very good Doncaster team.

"We had numerous injuries going in to the game and unfortunately we picked another couple up today.

"We are utilising the whole youth team squad at the minute and we also had a few Under-16 players in the team as well.

"All in all, our lads worked their socks off today and really put a shift in to get a result – well done lads."

Iron team: Riches, McMichael, Bartholomew, Porter, Lilley (Allason, 35), Sackey, Busby, Hornshaw, Dean-Atkinson, Barmby (Ablett, 75), Sithole (Train, 88).
Unused substitute: Popple.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block