Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


16 March 2016

An Iron development side drew 1-1 with Grimsby Town at the Hawthorns on Wednesday night.

The hosts got off to a positive start, as Noel Burdett had the first effort of the match, firing a shot wide from just inside the area.

Grimsby were quick to respond, with Anthony Straker testing United 'keeper Joe Anyon from the corner of the box, ten minutes into proceedings.

Hakeeb Adelakun then produced a moment of magic which almost put the Iron ahead. The winger twisted in the area, beating four Mariners defenders in the process, before striking over from close range.

Trialist defender Ellis Plummer, from Manchester City, was stretchered off with an injury on the 20 minute mark and replaced by Lewis Butroid.

The game was end-to-end and Town striker Omar Bogle was the next to have sight of goal, as he burst through, prior to pulling his shot wide. The visitors' number nine had another attempt shortly after. This time the forward curled a shot wide from the edge of the box.

Bogle was causing United problems and he went agonizingly close to breaking the deadlock when he clipped the crossbar from 6 yards out, just before the break.

After the restart, the home side were quick out of the traps, with Adelakun testing Grimsby 'keeper Andy Warrington from just inside the penalty area, following a determined run.

Midfielder Max Wright went close for the visitors just after the hour mark, volleying over at the far post.

With twenty minutes to play though, Town did take the lead. After the ball broke loose in the box following a corner, Josh Sunter was the first to react, poking the ball home in the 6 yard area.

United were quick to respond however, and in some style too. Jack Dyche raced through on goal after a good team move, to then finish past Warrington with a crisp strike into the bottom right hand corner of the goal.

Dyche's goal spurred the home side on to push for a winner, and they nearly got it when Vose went one on one with the Grimsby stopper, but he could only place his effort just wide of the far post.

Five minutes from time, it looked as though the Iron would turn things around. Dyche was the first to be denied and then so was Lewis McMichael, the ball eventually fell to Adelakun who fired over the crossbar.

As the clock ticked past the ninety minute mark, United went in search of a winner, but they would ultimately be frustrated, as the game ended a draw.

Scunthorpe United:
Anyon, McMichael, Plummer (Butroid, 24), Goode, Laird, Dean-Atkinson, Sutton, Vose, Dyche, Adelakun, Burdett.
Substitutes not used: Ledger, Cleminshaw, Shilling, Sackey.

Grimsby Town: Warrington, East (Sibbick 77), Lawis, Venney, Sunter, Hough, Wright (Sawyer 84), Henderson, Bogle (Jennings 77), Clifton, Straker.
Substitutes not used: Heath-Drury, Keeble.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block