Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 27/02/2016

27 February 2016

The Iron had to settle for a point as they drew 1-1 with Oldham Athletic at Glanford Park.

It looked as though the hosts would go home empty handed, after falling behind in the second period. But Kyle Wootton, who was introduced late on as a substitute, salvaged a share of the spoils with an 88th minute equaliser.

United made two changes from the defeat at Fleetwood, as Scott Wiseman came in for Jordan Clarke at full-back and Jim O'Brien made his first start, replacing Gary McSheffrey in attack.

The remaining nine were unchanged, with Luke Daniels in between the sticks, Wiseman, Murray Wallace, David Mirfin and Conor Townsend in defence, Jamie Ness, Stephen Dawson and Neal Bishop in midfield and O'Brien, Paddy Madden and Tom Hopper up top.

Nick Daws' side began positively and looked bright in the opening ten minutes. Hopper was the first to set his sights on goal, when he beat Latics 'keeper Joel Coleman to ball, but he could only loop his effort over the crossbar, under pressure from the Oldham stopper.

Former Iron loanee Joseph Mills gave United a scare 15 minutes into proceedings, when he dragged a shot wide after receiving the ball on the left hand side of the penalty area.

The home side continued to look dangerous though, threatening once more through O'Brien, who battled his way through to the edge of the box and then drove a low shot which Coleman did well to hang on to.

United's best opportunity up until that point, came just after the half-hour mark, when Townsend curled a free kick towards goal. The left-back must have thought he'd given his side the lead, but once again Coleman in the Oldham goal frustrated the hosts with save low down to his right.

A much better opportunity fell to Madden shortly after however, as he latched onto the end of a Mirfin flick on, to then rattle the crossbar with a header from close range.

Despite their persistent probing, the Iron couldn't find a way through the Oldham defence before the break, and the two sides went in level as Darren England blew his whistle.

It was more of the same after the interval, with the hosts applying the pressure right from the off. Hopper, who went close early on the first half, went even closer at the start of the second. The forward was picked out by a fabulous delivery from Ness, however he failed to make contact with the ball and the chance came to nothing.

Following Hopper's chance, the Iron were awarded a corner, which again caused problems for the Latics defence. Wallace threw himself at the ball, but he couldn't make a good connection and headed over.

Madden stung the palms of Coleman after the hour mark with a shot from the left corner of the box. The Irishman did well, taking the ball in his stride before unleashing a right footed drive, which was clawed away by the visiting 'keeper.

The Iron number nine nearly turned provider minutes later, linking up with substitute Greg Luer to pull the ball back to Townsend, who like Madden before him, forced Coleman into a reaction save.

Despite all of United's pressure though, they fell behind, twelve minutes from time when Daniel Lafferty swept the ball into the bottom corner of the goal, after finding room in the penalty area.

The Iron's response was almost immediate, when substitute Gary McSheffrey crossed for Luer from the left, who glanced his header fractionally wide of the goal.

Two minutes from time though, substitute Wootton lifted the roof off Glanford Park. The striker peeled off at the back post and controlled McSheffrey's cross well before firing across the goal and into the bottom corner.

Daws' side went in search of the winner as the fourth official signaled four additional minutes at the end of the game, but a point is what they ultimately had to settle for, in an entertaining encounter at Glanford Park.

Scunthorpe United:
Daniels, Wiseman, Wallace, Mirfin, Townsend, Bishop, Dawson (McSheffrey 63), Ness, O'Brien (Wootton 84), Madden, Hopper (Luer 72).
Substitutes not used: Anyon, Clarke, Laird, King, McSheffrey.

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, Dieng, Wilson, Kelly, Mills (Cassidy 56), Palmer, Winchester, Gerrard, Main (Murphy 86), Lafferty, Dummigan (Jones 60).
Substitutes not used: Cornell, Croft, Brown, Wilson.

Attendance: 4,180.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block