Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 May 2015

Looking to turn performances into points, the Iron headed into September sat in the final relegation position.

First up was Chesterfield in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy at Glanford Park. United took the lead early on in the game after a neat finish from Sean McAllister, which secured his first goal for the club in league and cup.

An unfortunate slip from Chesterfield’s substitute keeper Aaron Chapman left Gary McSheffrey with the goal at his mercy, and he didn’t disappoint, making it 2-0. A good performance and victory to start the month - And two wins on the bounce at Glanford Park in all competitions.

Next Scunthorpe had a trip down to Bristol City, a team who had made an impressive start to their League One campaign, sitting third and having taken 11 points from a possible 15. Sadly for the Iron, Bristol’s impressive form was to continue as second half goals from Aden Flint and Greg Cunningham meant the points were staying down south.

The following Saturday, United had a chance to bounce back from their loss at Bristol as they faced Chesterfield away, a team they had beaten on their own territory just over a week prior.

Scunthorpe held Chesterfield for the first period, and actually took the lead almost immediately after the second half restart, as Paddy Madden latched onto a blocked shot from McAllister and slotted home to give United the lead.

Ten minutes later, the in-form Eoin Doyle equalised for Chesterfield. Just 20 minutes after that, he’d confirmed his hat-trick, as the home side showed their class. There would be one more goal for Chesterfield, as the Iron looked to get back into the game, the home team broke and once Sam Morsy ran in on goal one-on-one, he was never going to miss.

Looking to make amends for the defeat at Chesterfield, United had the perfect chance to do so a few days later as Coventry headed our way. It would be the win the Iron needed as they made it three victories out of three at Glanford Park.

Goals from Lyle Taylor and Paddy Madden would be the answer to Frank Nouble’s 17th minute opener for Coventry, as Scunthorpe secured a much needed 2-1 win and confidence booster.

The following Saturday, Scunthorpe had another home game to look forward to, this time against Leyton Orient. Orient would take the lead in the third minute through Scott Cuthbert, before Matt Sparrow equalised for the Iron in the 49th minute.

The excitement from the equaliser was not to last long, as the O's broke up the other end and restored their lead through Jobi McAnuff. Orient held on to their slender lead, and the Iron lost their mini winning streak at Glanford Park.

To end the month on a high, United were looking to take all three points from Oldham Athletic. It would be a high scoring fixture, which ended in an unlucky 3-2 loss for the Iron. Andrew Boyce would grab the Scunthorpe opener, before an equaliser from ex-Iron striker Jonathan Forte for Oldham.

Minutes later Rory Fallon would score on his debut for United, but Oldham showed their true potential in the second half, with Danny Philliskirk scoring two, to take the Iron down to their latest loss.

At the month’s end, United had been defeated four times in the league and had secured one win, with their other victory coming in the cup. Sitting second bottom on seven points, the Iron fans would be hoping for a better return in October.

Advertisement block