Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


28 January 2015

The Iron reserve team lost 3-2 to Hull City in the Third Development League Cup game at Grange Lane, North Ferriby.

Reserves manager Andy Dawson handed the captaincy over to 18-year-old Hakeeb Adelakun, with the winger, along with Sean McAllister and Joe Anyon included fresh from being involved in the squad for Tuesday night’s draw with MK Dons.

Within the first minute of the game a powerful run by skipper Adelakun had the Hull defender back-peddling, but his low effort went straight down Rory Watson’s throat. The Iron dominated the early exchanges, with Adelakun and McAllister instrumental in an experienced Scunthorpe side.

However despite their bright start, Scunthorpe couldn’t hold on to the ascendency, with the Tigers enjoying possession and flashing shots wide through March and Dawson. With the final ball lacking in the Iron attack, the hosts fashioned the first major chance of the game.

Kevin O’Connor laid the ball off to striker Jonathon Margetts, who bent his perfectly weighted attempt on goal against Joe Anyon’s post. Two minutes later, the lively Margetts was again the centre of attention.

Margetts’ mazy run was cut short when ‘keeper Anyon sent him tumbling inside the area, and the forward picked himself up,  dusted himself down and dispatched the resulting spot-kick to give Hull the lead.

It could have been two nil shortly after, when a defensive slip allowed Greg Luer to steal in on goal, but Charlie Cleminshaw managed to poke out a foot to deny the Hull striker the sides second.

A wild Adelakun effort that flew over the bar was the Iron’s only response before the half time whistle blew, with the home side coasting going in to the break.

The Iron flew out of the traps in the second half, dominating possession, but however lacking that final ball. That all changed when Levi Sutton was felled just outside of the area by Scott Tancock. Adelakun stepped up to take the resulting free-kick, and his pinpoint effort floated over the wall, and in to the top left hand corner.

Scunthorpe’s pressure continued, with Adelakun the star of the show, and they couldn’t have come any closer to taking the lead when the captain let leash with a bullet of a shot from 25-yards out, with his effort smashing against the cross-bar, leaving Watson completely beaten.

Only four minutes later the Iron had another corner, and this time, Mitch Rose got on the end of it, however a goal line clearance from Hull’s Dawson saved the Premier League side from falling behind.

Instead, against the run of play they took the lead. A cross from the left fell to striker Greg Luer, who viciously struck the ball across goal, only for defender Cleminshaw to turn the ball in to his own net, when trying to prevent what he thought was a potential goal.

Just seven minutes later, Hull scored again. After fantastic work by Ter Horst to keep the ball in play on the left, the Trialist whipped in a dangerous ball which the Iron defence couldn’t clear, and the ball fell to Luer, who rifled past the helpless Anyon from close range.

With Jack Mawson replacing Mitch Rose up front, the Iron were back in the game when youngster Levi Sutton wriggled free to finish from close range.

The Iron pushed for an equaliser, replacing Cleminshaw with Riley Baker, but time ran out for Dawson’s men, after a spirited fight back unfortunately ended in defeat.

Advertisement block