Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


27 December 2015

The Iron returned to winning ways with a 1-0 victory away at local rivals Doncaster Rovers on Boxing Day.

Paddy Madden’s 14th goal of the season was enough to secure three points for the Iron and move them above their opponents and into 14th.

United are now unbeaten in four on their travels and will hope to take that form into their upcoming home games against Rochdale and Wigan.

Elsewhere in League One, Walsall took advantage of Burton Albion not being in action to move to the top of the table.

The Brewers’ game at Bradford was postponed, and Milan Lalkovic’s goal ensured Walsall went top after defeating Millwall.

Burton’s game was not the only Boxing Day fixture to get called off with five League One matches in total not going ahead.

Blackpool v Oldham, Bury v Barnsley, Rochdale v Crewe, and Wigan v Sheffield United were the other games that were called off.

Gillingham moved to within a point of second placed Burton as they came from behind to beat Swindon 3-1 away from home.

Jon Obika had given the hosts the lead, but Bradley Dack, Jake Hessenthaler and Ryan Jackson were all on target as the Gills turned it around.

Fourth placed Coventry also kept the pressure up on the top two as they scored late on to secure a 1-0 win against Port Vale.

It took 80 minutes for them to find a breakthrough, but James Maddison struck after coming off the bench to secure the win.

Peterborough moved up to fifth as they bounced back from defeat in their last game to beat Chesterfield 2-0.

The in-form Conor Washington netted twice, once in either half, to give the Posh a routine victory and keep them in the play-off mix.

Southend are just outside the top six as they beat Essex rivals Colchester 2-0, heaping more misery on their bottom of the table neighbours.

Kevin Keen was taking charge of his first Colchester game, but could do nothing as John White and David Mooney helped the Shrimpers to victory.

Meanwhile, Shrewsbury and Fleetwood shared the points as the two sides played out a 1-1 draw, with the visitors equalising late on.

Jordan Clark gave the hosts the lead, but Ashley Hunter levelled with four minutes remaining to earn Fleetwood a point.

Next up for the Iron is the visit of Rochdale on Monday, with Mark Robins’ side looking to make it back-to-back wins in League One.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block