Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


10 August 2015

Scunthorpe United’s League One campaign got off to a disappointing start as they lost 2-1 to newly promoted Burton Albion.

The Iron lost Luke Williams and Niall Canavan to first half injuries, before Stuart Beavon and Lucas Akins netted for the Brewers.

Mark Robins’ side had ‘keeper Luke Daniels sent-off as well, which added to the disappointment, although Charlie Goode did net his first senior goal for the Iron.

Elsewhere in League One, Swindon got off to a great start as they look to go one better this season and secure promotion to the Championship, winning 4-1 at home to Bradford.

Nathan Byrne grabbed a hat-trick for the Robins as well as Jon Obika, although Josh Morris had given the visitors an early lead.

The only side who are above Swindon are Gillingham who defeated last year’s play-off semi-finalists Sheffield United, managed by former Iron boss Nigel Adkins for the first time, 4-0.

Emmanuel Osadebe, Deji Oshijala, Bradley Dack and John Egan were all on target for the Gills who top the table after the first round of matches.

Chesterfield, another of last season’s beaten play-off semi-finalists, got off to a better start though winning 3-1 at home to Barnsley.

Conor Wilkinson had put the Tykes ahead, but goals from Jay O’Shea, Sylvain Ebanks-Blake and Sam Morsy turned it around for the Spireites.

The three sides relegated from the Championship last season suffered mixed fortunes on the opening weekend, with Millwall faring the best out of the three.

Steve Morison and Lee Gregory were both on target to give the East Londoners the points, despite falling behind to Shrewsbury thanks to a James Collins strike.

It was a different story for Wigan though as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat at Coventry, with Adam Armstrong finding the net twice to give the Sky Blues a great start.

Despite the off the field headlines, Blackpool secured a point on their League One return at Colchester, drawing 2-2 to the Essex side.

Mark Cullen netted twice for the Tangerines, but an Alex Gilbey goal and a debut strike from Darren Ambrose claimed a share of the spoils for the U’s.

Rochdale got off to a great start as Callum Camps and Reuben Noble-Lazarus both netted as they beat Peterborough 2-0.

There were bizarre scenes at the end of Doncaster’s 1-1 draw with Bury as Leon Clarke was allowed to walk the ball into the host’s net.

Harry Forrester had attempted to return the ball to the visitors after an injury, but unintentionally put the ball in the Bury net, leading to an agreement between the sides.

Meanwhile, there was also 1-1 draws in the games between Southend and Fleetwood as well as Walsall and Oldham, while Crewe versus Port Vale finished 0-0.

Next up for the Iron is a tie in the Capital One Cup against League One rivals Barnsley.

Advertisement block