Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


22 September 2014

The Iron's youth team were beaten 3-0 at Hull City on Saturday.

After going 2-0 down within the first 10 minutes of the game, the United lads found it difficult to make a comeback and as a result, they fell to their first league defeat of the season.

United had a great chance and should have opened the scoring after only seven minutes. Noel Burdett found Kyle Wootton just inside the box and the big striker was clean through on the City keeper but Wootton’s effort lacked conviction and Hirst was able to block the shot with his legs and the chance to take the lead was lost.

United were immediately left to rue this missed opportunity as a minute later, City went in front. City left winger, Ben Hinchcliffe picked the ball up 40 yards from the visitors goal, he advanced at pace beyond Iron right back Stothard before releasing a fiery shot on target, which flew in to United’s goal. Scunthorpe appeared set back from the goal and didn’t react well, conceding another goal within 2 minutes.

The ball broke to Hull striker Luke Lofts who did well to bring it under control amongst the pressure of Iron’s central defenders. From outside the box, Lofts let fly a forceful shot at United keeper Ben Ledger’s net, which appeared to surprise the Iron keeper as the home team doubled their advantage.

On 11 minutes, the Iron attempted to get back in to the game. Captain Taron Hare played the ball up to striker, Kyle Wootton who headed on to Noel Burdett. Burdett used his pace to take the ball past the full back but the left footed shot was weak and too comfortable for City keeper Jonathan Hirst.

On 17 minutes, City pushed another attack which reached as far as Iron’s box before Ledger came out of his net to recover possession for United. A simple roll to Hare gave the captain time to pick out a great run from right winger, Jack Mawson. Mawson’s first touch enabled him to play a cross in to the box, which found Wootton but although managing to find space he drove the ball just an inch wide of the top corner.

Hull were pushing the league leaders back and United were facing a real uphill battle to get something out of this game after conceding two goals so early in the game.

On 35 minutes, Mosanya tried his luck in beating several players but Hull’s youth lads were quick to react and blocked the cross. For the remainder of the half, the game seemed to follow the same pattern. United were creating the runs but City’s defence came out on top, intercepting potential opportunities for the visitors.

City’s electric fast Hinchcliffe managed the run the ball down the line and fire a shot across Ledger’s goal but a good save prevented a third goal in the first half. On the counter in the 42nd minute, Iron got the ball up to Wootton who successfully took the ball around several City defenders and had a shot at target. Hirst just managed to palm the shot right of his net but the lack of a follow up from United saw a wasted opportunity for the Iron as the teams went in at half time.

The second half performance was certainly an improvement and the Iron lads seemed sharper and in turn, started to claw their way back in to the game. United took control of more possession and appeared to work harder for the ball closing down their opponents and also passing the ball quicker when they had it.

On 47 minutes, United should have pulled a goal back. Cleminshaw’s ball to Wootton was flicked on to Mawson who took the ball past a City defender before executing a terrific cross to the far post finding Mosanya. The winger did well to jump for the ball and his header was destined for the back of City’s goal but a fantastic diving save from Hirst denied United the chance to pull one back.

On 58 minutes, Scunthorpe made their first substitution and brought Matt Stockill on to replace Connor Purdue in central midfield to add a fresh pair of legs and more energy.

Yet another ball originating from Hare at the back glided over the full back’s head for Mawson to run onto. Mawson used his pace to get around his opponent and released a very dangerous low ball across the six-yard line but Scunthorpe didn’t react quickly enough to the break and the cross ran to the far side.

On 63 minutes, a powerful Hare header defended a Hull free kick well but City’s playmaker, Lofts, restored the pressure and put the ball back into the box. Burdett attempted to turn the player in possession but fouled him in the process  awarding City another free kick, central and on the edge of the Iron’s penalty area. 

City’s captain Josh Clackstone put his foot through the ball for the free kick and lashed an explosive shot into the top left hand corner, securing City’s 3-0 lead over United on 64 minutes.

In the 77th minute, Wootton picked the ball up fully 30 yards from City’s goal and let fly. The effort beat Hirst in goal but cannoned back off the crossbar to sum up a frustrating day for the Iron.

Another Iron substitution saw Sonny Shilling replace Mosanya.

A final Iron push on goal resulted in a sharp strike from Wootton outside the 18-yard box but the shot steered wide of goal. The final whistle confirmed City’s deserved 3-0 victory over the Iron. Both teams played some good football but Hull came out on top and secured 3 excellent goals in doing so.

After the game, Academy Manager Tony Daws said: "Today was disappointing as we didn’t play anything like we are capable of playing. Hopefully our young players will have learnt from today’s experience that the first thing you have to do, is work hard."

Advertisement block