Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


19 July 2014

The Iron emerged 2-1 winners from their pre-season friendly at Gainsborough Trinity.

They made it two wins out of two after defeating Bottesford Town 3-1 in their first friendly in midweek.

First half goals from Paddy Madden and Deon Burton put the visitors 2-0 to the good at Gainsborough.

A goal from Paul Beesley pulled one back for the hosts early in the second half.

Substitute Grant Roberts had two very good chances to level the game, but Severn made two very good saves to ensure the Iron made it two wins from two in pre-season so far.

Gainsborough got proceedings underway at the Northolme, but it was Scunthorpe who got the first shot at goal early on the game. A defensive error allowed McSheffrey to lay the ball off to Burton, however his shot lacked power and sailed comfortably beyond the post.

The Iron looked calm and controlled during the opening minutes of the first half, moving confidently and finding space within the opposition half. Burton picked up the ball out on the left before putting a delicate through-ball into the path of an on-running Paddy Madden, who's shot was deflected wide for a corner.

It was the Burton-Madden partnership that allowed McSheffrey to get sight on goal only minutes later. Burton flicked on a long kick up field towards Madden, who continued on his run before giving the ball to McSheffrey. His shot was saved well by Budtz however.

15 minutes in, Gainsborough got their first promising shot on goal. Higginson received the ball in the Iron half, before cutting inside and working an opening  for himself. His strike from 25 yards failed to trouble Slocombe however as it flew over the bar.

It looked as if the opportunity had given the hosts some confidence as Higginson had another sight at goal, he connected well with his strike but again, it didn't trouble the Iron number one as it went high over the Scunthorpe goal.

Burton and Madden were looking threatening once again 22 minutes in, and it nearly resulted in a goal. Burton found himself with space on the left before feeding the ball through to Madden who, despite under pressure, managed to pull out a good save from the Gainsborough keeper.

Seconds later, that strike duo combined to give Scunthorpe the lead. A header from Burton was flicked onto Paddy Madden, who's strike went beyond the keeper and into the back of the net via the post.

After 35 minutes, Scunthorpe were denied from a fantastic  block to make to 2-0. A ball into the box was nodded down by Madden into the path of Burton, who's shot was excellently blocked by the Gainsborough defence as it went out for another corner to the Iron.

Gainsborough didn't sit back however and did cause the Iron some problems. Stamp and Beesley combined well outside the Iron box before Beesley fired the ball wide of Slocombe's goal.

The Iron did well to withstand the short spell of pressure and continued to attack the Gainsborough goal. They were successful in their pursuit as they doubled their lead on 44 minutes. Paddy Madden found himself with plenty of space down the right hand side before passing the ball across goal towards Deon Burton, who comfortably side footed the ball beyond the keeper and into the back of the net.

With ten changes made for the second half and only Eddie Nolan remaining on the pitch from the first 45 minutes, Gainsborough looked to get back into the game and nearly pulled a goal back early in the second half. Beesley and Higginson worked well within the Iron box before Higginson forced Severn into a good save as he parried the ball out of danger.

In the 57th minute, Gainsborough pulled a goal back. Higginson ran at the Iron defence before an excellent pass to Beesley allowed the Trinity number 9 to side foot the ball beyond Severn and half the deficit for the hosts.

Good work from Winnall and Taylor created space for Adelakun to get in on goal after 65 minutes, however his shot was easily saved by the Trinity keeper as he got down low to clutch onto the driven shot.

Adelakun looked threatening out on the wing during the second half and certainly gave the Gainsborough full-backs trouble. He found some good space out on the left before putting a teasing ball in-between the on the running Iron strikers and the keeper, however neither managed to get a touch on the ball as it went out for a goal kick.

Both sides made changes throughout the second half and one the Trinity substitutes nearly levelled the game with 10 minutes to play. Roberts had space inside the Iron half as he was in one on one with Severn, however Severn did brilliantly to deny the substitute from equalising for the hosts.

As the game drew to a close, neither side managed to carve out many chances, however with only minutes to go, Trinity had a glorious opportunity to make the scores level. Grant Roberts again found himself in on goal with only Severn to beat, but the Iron keeper did well again to deny the hosts from making it 2-2.


Scunthorpe United Team:

First Half: Slocombe, Nolan, Boyce, Canavan, Dawson, Myrie-Williams, McAllister, Bishop, McSheffrey, Madden, Burton.

Second Half: Severn, Nolan (Hare, 63), Waterfall, Howe, Williams, Adelakun, Bateson (Hornsey, 75), Syers, Sparrow, Winnall, Taylor.

Substitutes: Hare, Hornsey.

Advertisement block