Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


9 December 2014

United manager Mark Robins is thankful to still be in the FA Cup, after he was left disappointed with his side’s performance in the second round match on Sunday.

The Claret and Blue were held to a 1-1 draw with Vanarama Conference North side Worcester City at Glanford Park and we require a replay at Aggborough to see who advances to the next round.

After taking the lead through Paddy Madden, who went into double figures for the season, City were level just one minute inside the second period and the manager says his side were not quick enough out of the blocks.

“(In the second half) We started off poorly,” Robins told The Iron Player

“We knew they would come out and put us under pressure with long balls, they did that, and we didn’t deal with it properly. When that happens, it gives them the opportunity and as soon as you give them that, they are likely to take it because their tails are up.

“At the end of the day you’ve got to stand up to them challenges and stand up to the physical battles before you can win any other.

“We didn’t do any of that and the changes we made, you’re hoping for a bit more spark and we didn’t quite get that. We were a bit unfortunate not to get the second goal. I thought the game had plenty of chances so if you’re not playing well and performing to the level you know you can do, then make sure you don’t lose the game.

“I’m disappointed because we are better than that.We know exactly how these things work and we try hard against it.

“We’ll go down there and try win the game. We’re still in the hat and have the opportunity to progress. The FA Cup is such a famous competition because of days like Sunday and we’ve got to accept that’s the case.” 

The Iron were forced to make two changes due to injury. After Gary McSheffrey had a severe nosebleed in the first half, he picked up an injury and was replaced by Jennison Myrie-Williams, who also picked up an injury before the half-time whistle.  

“McSheffrey felt his hamstring go and he’s broken his nose, he’s been in the wars,” the manager stated. 

“That’s what you get when you play in these games and these are the things you’ve got to accept. There’s one or two tackles that maybe wouldn’t have gone unpunished in a Football League game but that’s just the way it’s been refereed.

“Myrie-Williams also felt his hamstring.

“We had a conversation about it after - when you’re a substitute, in position on the bench and it’s cold, when you could go on at any time, it’s your responsibility to keep warm. In the early stages of him coming on the field, it was a big sprint for him and he’s felt his hamstring go.

“I don’t know the extent, but they both look like a couple of hamstring injuries.”

Billy Kee made his first start for the club since arriving from Burton Albion in the summer and he went close to scoring in the second half.
“I would have backed Billy to score his chance because he is a goal scorer, it was a clear chance for him and he’s pulled it wide,” Robins added.

“He’s not had too much match practice and he certainly would be expected to score those kind of chances.

“He’s not played many minutes and he’ll no doubt be disappointed, his mind will be cast back to that opportunity.

“Some of the things he did (in the game) were good, but then he tired because he’s still a way off where we need him to be physically.”

Advertisement block