Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


11 August 2014

The Iron returned to the third tier of English football with a 3-1 defeat to Swindon at the County Ground.

The Robins went in-front after three minutes when Massimo Luongo converted Nathan Byrne’s pull-back and Michael Smith doubled their lead less than ten minutes later. Paddy Madden pulled one back and Smith made it 3-1 with his second on half-time. Marcus Williams saw red in a goalless second period for shoving a Swindon player in the heat of a fracas.

“We didn’t help ourselves in the first 12 minutes,” Russ Wilcox told The Iron Player after the game, reflecting on the defeat.

"It's difficult coming away to a team that finished in the top ten last season. We have to be better than that. You can't give any side at any level a two goal lead and expect to get back in. It was a fantastic response from the players - I've seen situations where teams lay down and concede four or five.”

Elsewhere, Sky Bet’s favourites to win the league faced off in the lunch-time kick-off at Bramall Lane.

Sheffield United hosted Bristol City in front of the Sky Sports cameras and Steve Cotterill’s Bristol left Yorkshire 2-1 winners, with thanks to a man of the match performance from Aaron Wilbraham. The former Norwich forward headed the visitors into a lead before Michael Higdon levelled matters minutes later. Wade Elliott's second-half strike gave Bristol City all three points in a 2-1 win over Nigel Clough’s Blades.

There was a five-goal thriller at the Coral Windows Stadium, as Bradford’s last minute goal stole all three points from Steven Pressley’s side. James Hanson put the Bantams into the lead and Reda Johnson’s header levelled matters. Alan Sheehan scored a spot-kick to put Bradford back in front and Johnson thought he snatched the Sky Blues a draw as he netted in the 89th minute and Hanson doubled his tally by heading home in the game’s dying moments to clinch all three points for Phil Parkinson’s men.

Last season’s Sky Bet League Two champions Chesterfield faced a tough trip to Leyton Orient, who narrowly missed out on promotion in May in the play-offs at Wembley. Paul Cook’s side went 2-0 up through Romuald Boco and Eoin Doyle and Darius Henderson scored for Orient on his professional debut to make the closing moments nervy for the Spireites, who held on for the 2-1 win.

Sky Bet League Two winners Fleetwood won on their League One bow against Crewe, in a match representing the Cod Army’s highest ever league standing.

A quick double in the early moments of the second-half at Highbury gave the home side a 2-0 lead and Alex missed the chance to respond as Matt Tootle’s spot-kick went wide. Brad Inman scored a 90th minute penalty to give Crewe hope but Graham Alexander’s men held on.

The last of the promoted Sky Bet League Two clubs last year were Rochdale and they lost at home to Darren Ferguson’s Peterborough 1-0.

Rochdale, who sold top scorer Scott Hogan to Brentford, conceded after 61 minutes when Kyle Vassell netted from six yards.

Doncaster began life back in Sky Bet League One with a 3-0 win over Yeovil. Curtis Main put the visitors into an early lead at Huish Park on his professional debut on eight minutes.

Harry Forrester made it two in the second half and James Hayter hit the crossbar for the Glovers before Theo Robinson’s 90th minute goal completed the 3-0 victory.

It was a six-goal thriller at Stadium:MK as MK Dons were 4-2 winners over Gillingham. The visitors were 2-0 up through Cody McDonald and Danny Kedwell and Kortney Hause’s own goal made it 1-2 at the break.

Will Gregg’s header on his professional debut put MK level and debutant Kyle McFadzean notched the home side in front for the first time in the game.

Goalkeeper Aaron Morris also turned into his own net to confirm Karl Robinson’s side’s 4-2 victory.

Colchester and Oldham shared the points in a four-goal thriller which ended 2-2.

Magnus Okuonghae put the home side into the lead and Jonathan Forte’s double put Oldham in-front before debutant George Moncur rescued Joe Dunne’s side a point on the first game on the campaign.

Simon Grayson’s Preston rescued a point against Notts County with a 89th minute equaliser to make it 1-1.

Jake Cassidy, on loan from Wolves, netted on his professional debut for the Magpies and Joe Garner scored in the game’s dying moments, much to the relief of the majority of the crowd at Deepdale.

Sam Winnall made his debut for Barnsley as they lost 1-0 to Crawley at Oakwell.

Winger Dale Jennings saw red for his reaction to being fouled by Crawley’s Gwion Edwards and Izale McLeod headed eight minutes from time to help John Gregory’s side to a win on the season opener.

Micky Adams’ Port Vale were held to a 1-1 draw by Walsall at Vale Park.

It was a good game and Tom Pope put the home side in front after 25 minutes and Tom Bradshaw dinked Sam Johnson shortly before the hour-mark to level terms.

The next round of Sky Bet League One fixtures come next weekend, when the Iron host Preston, Doncaster welcome Port Vale and MK Dons will visit Peterborough.

Walsall and Bradford will face off at the Banks’s Stadium and Fleetwood travel to Notts County, while Oldham and Leyton Orient will meet at Park.
Bristol City play Colchester, Chesterfield and Rochdale will play each other at the Proact Stadium and Nigel Clough’s Sheff Utd face an away trip against Coventry.

Mark Cooper’s Swindon, full of confidence after beating the Iron, will play Scunthorpe-born John Gregory’s Crawley, Gillingham play Yeovil and Crewe will face Barnsley

Advertisement block