Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 September 2012

Match report...

United were held to a 1-1 draw away at Oldham Athletic on Tuesday night.

Leon Clarke had fired his side into a third minute lead, making it three goals in three games since signing on loan from Charlton Athletic.

Scunthorpe did have chances to add to their advantage in the first half too, but the home side levelled through Matt Derbyshire just before half-time and had the better of the second period.

The Iron entered the game making no changes from the side that won 1-0 at Shrewsbury Town on Saturday.

Sam Slocombe started the match in goal, with Christian Ribeiro, David Mirfin, Niall Canavan and Tom Newey forming the defence.

The midfield consisted of Mark Duffy, David Prutton, Josh Walker and Jimmy Ryan, with Clarke and Karl Hawley lining up in attack.

The substitutes were James Severn, Mike Grella, Andy Barcham, Connor Jennings, Robbie Gibbons, Jordan Keegan and Chris Sedgwick.

Former Iron captain Cliff Byrne lined up at centre-back for the hosts.

Scunthorpe did the early threatening with the midfielders probing, and took a third minute lead through Clarke, who received Duffy's chip into the area before controlling the ball and striking across Dean Bouzanis and into the back of the net for his third goal in three games.

The hosts tried to find an instant route back into the game, with Matt Derbyshire - on loan from Nottingham Forest - next to come close but his drive across goal was easily stopped by Slocombe.

The next United opportunity arrived on 13 minutes when Prutton, taking his side's first corner of the game, crossed an inswinger for Ryan, whose header went inches wide of the near post.

Just a minute later, Oldham could have levelled when Lee Croft's cross was met by an unmarked Derbyshire, whose header just cleared the crossbar.

The next chance for the away side arrived in the 18th minute when Ryan weaved in and out of several Latics defenders before his shot was deflected behind for a corner by Jonathan Grounds.

Just two minutes later, Hawley sent an effort just inches wide of Bouzanis' right-hand post as the visitors caught the home side on the counter-attack.

The ever-dangerous Derbyshire was next to register an attempt on goal, striking a curled effort towards Slocombe's top left-hand corner, which took a deflection off Canavan and went into the goalkeeper's arms.

Hawley threatened again in the 26th minute, this time sending a far post shot towards goal which was tipped around the post by the Latics goalkeeper. Then, from the subsequent set-piece, which was only partly cleared, Ryan could only fire a tame effort towards goal.

The hosts came close following a goalmouth scramble on 31 minutes, as the ball fell to Croft, who got the ball trapped under his feet and Scunthorpe managed to clear.

Following another United corner, the away side forced a spillage from Latics 'stopper Bouzanis, but neither Mirfin or Newey could capitalise.

Next to have a pop at goal was Prutton, who rifled a strike well over the crossbar.

Nevertheless, the hosts did level in the 40th minute as Derbyshire poked home from point-blank range after a low cross from the left caught out the visiting defence.

Immediately, the Iron looked to restore their advantage but Hawley had his close range shot saved by Bouzanis and Clarke couldn't connect properly with the rebound.

Slocombe was drawn into a save in the final minute of the first half, as a right-wing cross found Matt Smith, but Slocombe reacted well to catch his header, diving low down to his left.

The first chance of the second period arrived the way of Lee Croft on 52 minutes but his powerful drive was well held by Slocombe.

Two minutes later, from a Prutton corner, Mirfin powered a header towards goal but it was blocked by Byrne.

On 55 minutes, the same combination linked up again for the Iron, but Mirfin's header went wide.

Slocombe was called into action three minutes later when Cristian Montano hit a powerful shot on the turn which Slocome did extremely well to get a hold of and keep out.

Scunthorpe's attacking wasn't as free-flowing as in the opening half, with chances more restricted. The same could be said for Oldham too though, as an open game became a lot more restrictive.

The first Iron change of the night arrived with 15 minutes left as Barcham came on for Duffy, and as United tried to gain fresh impetus going forward.

Chances continued to be at a premium though, and the best opportunity of the closing stages went the way of Oldham's Derbyshire, who lashed an angled effort wide of goal from the right.

Then, Jose Baxter, on as a substitute, lashed an effort wide through a crowded United penalty area.

With the hosts on top, there was a double Scunthorpe change with just a matter of minutes remaining, as Hawley was replaced by Grella and Sedgwick came on for Ryan.

There was some late drama during the second minute out of three in stoppage time as Oldham scored through Robbie Simpson's close range effort but Slocombe was bundled down in the process. The Latics celebrated but referee Geoff Eltringham ruled the goal out and the game finished all square.

The Iron are next in action on Saturday when they host Colchester United at Glanford Park.

Oldham Athletic:
Bouzanis, Wabara, Byrne, M'Voto, Grounds, Croft, Furman, Wesolowski (Baxter, 63), Montano, Smith (Simpson, 63), Derbyshire.
Substitutes not used: Cisak, Tarkowski, M'Changama, Winchester, Sutherland.

Scunthorpe United: Slocombe, Ribeiro, Mirfin, Canavan, Newey, Duffy (Barcham, 75), Prutton, Walker, Ryan (Sedgwick, 87), Hawley (Grella, 87), Clarke.
Substitutes not used: Severn, Jennings, Gibbons, Keegan.

Referee: Mr G Eltringham.

Attendance: 2,969 (178 away).

Advertisement block