Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/08/2012

25 August 2012

Scunthorpe lost their third successive league game.

Goals from Keanu Marsh-Brown, Reuben Reid and a brace from Gozic Ugwu earned Yeovil Town a 4-0 victory.

United made two changes to the side that lost to Crewe on Tuesday night with Niall Canavan replacing Tom Newey in defence  and the returning Mark Duffy was handed a slot in midfield ahead of Andy Barcham whilst David Mirfin again deputised as captain for the injured Paul Reid.

Yeovil began with the same team that started in their 3-1 win away at Brentford four days ago and it was the visitors who started brightly.

Keanu Marsh-Brown sprinted down the United leftflank and found striker Reuben Reid whose turn and shot hit a hand in the area only for the referee to wave away appeals for a penalty.

The Iron were looking threatening themselves and following a good passing move, Mark Duffy’s in swinging cross found Bobby Grant only for the striker to direct his header wide of the goal.

And it was Grant who had the game's next chance as he played a neat one-two with Mike Grella on the edge of the penalty area but the Merseyside born forward hit his 25-yard effort just over the crossbar.

Yeovil were looking very lively in the final third and almost took the lead in the 22nd minute.

Luke Ayling’s clever pass was picked up by Reid and his turn and shot had Sam Slocombe diving across goal but thankfully for United, the ball went just wide.

Then just moments later, the Iron almost took the lead. A corner from Josh Walker was headed goalbound by David Mirfin but Ayling was on hand to nod the ball off the line and away for another flag kick.

The Glovers then had another chance of their own as Sam Foley’s cross wasn’t fully cleared and the ball eventually fell to midfielder Ed Upson, who struck a long range drive that went inches over Slocombe’s crossbar.

But Yeovil were looking particularly dangerous on the counter attack and took the lead after 37 minutes.

Upson’s clever through ball was latched onto by Keanu Marsh-Brown and the winger unleashed a powerful right footed shot that found the back of the net at the near post to put Gary Johnson’s side 1-0 up.

Scunthorpe went close to equalising soon after as Bobby Grant was fouled on the edge of the area by ex-Iron defender  Richard Hinds and the resulting free kick saw Walker draw a fine save from Yeovil ‘keeper Marek Stech as the ball travelled towards the top corner.

The half drew to a close with United unable to find a leveller and Alan Knill’s men went into the break a goal behind with much work to do after the interval if they were to get anything out of the game.

But United got off to the worst possible second half start as they fell further behind in the 50th minute. 

After a lengthy passing move, Yeovil’s influential midfield player Ed Upson drove forward and slotted a weighted pass to Reuben Reid who side footed the ball past Sam Slocombe to put the Somerset outfit two goals ahead.

Scunthorpe set about finding a way back into the game straight away and Yeovil goalkeeper Stech was forced into three fantastic saves within a matter of moments of each other.

First, Callum Kennedy’s cross fell to Grant inside the penalty area and Stech had tomake a strong save down to his right but the ball landed at the feet of Mark Duffy who hit his effort towards goal only to see the Czech Republic U21 International to pull off another fine stop.

Jimmy Ryan then tested the Glovers number one with a long range drive that was tipped over the bar for a corner as the Iron began to reassert themselves back into the game.

Niall Canavan came close to pulling a goal back a few minutes later as his initial header from a Gibbons corner was cleared off the line and the rebound found its way back to the 21-year-old but he couldn’t strike his second opportunity on target.

Yeovil were well and truly on the rails but created an opportunity to extend their lead soon after.

Upson picked up a free ball on halfway and darted through the United defence to present himself with a one-on-one situation but his low right footed shot was superbly saved by Slocombe to deny the visitors of a certain third goal.

Scunthorpe then conjured up another chance as Kennedy’s cross dropped to substitute Connor Jennings on the edge of the area but Stech was at hand to save once again and Josh Walker fired the rebound wide as the game seemed to be slipping away from United.

And Yeovil then scored again three minutes from time. Slocombe diverted a Nathan Ralph shot away from danger but GozicUgwu was on hand to slot the ball into an empty net as the away side increased their advantage.

Ugwu then scored his second and Yeovil’s fourth in injury time as James Hayter’s ball found  the Reading loanee and he went round Slocombe to net the game’s final goal.

Scunthorpe United:
Slocombe, Ribeiro, Mirfin, Canavan, Kennedy (Keegan, 84), Ryan (Barcham, 76), Walker, Gibbons, Duffy, Grant (Jennings, 64), Grella

Substitutes: Severn, Hughes, Howe, Newey.

Yeovil Town: Stech, Ayling, Hinds, Webster, Marsh-Brown (Young, 64), Upson, Blizzard, Foley (Ralph, 84), Hayter, Reid (Ugwu, 69)

Substitutes: Stewart, Nkumu.


Attendance: 3,279 (113 away).

Advertisement block