Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 18:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
25 April 2019 Venue Unavailable Attendance

Kick off 18:00 (UK)

Scunthorpe United U18
1 - 4
Hartlepool United U18
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Gallimore scores as youthful U18s suffer home loss

26 April 2019

The Iron's Under-18 side were defeated 4-1 by Hartlepool United in their final home game of the season at Brumby Hall in the Youth Alliance League on Thursday evening.

Despite getting back on level terms through Levi Gallimore in the first half, a goal on the stroke of half time and two further strikes in the second period secured the win for Hartlepool. 

Despite the result, the young Iron side fought until the end to try and get something out of the game. 

The Iron started well and were on the front foot from the first whistle. However, it was Hartlepool who had the best chance to take the lead in the opening exchanges. 

12 minutes in, the visitors broke forward through midfield, but as the final pass found the striker after a quick counter attacker, he shot just wide of the post.

Then, with a quarter of an hour played, the Iron had the game's first effort on target. Finley Shrimpton perfectly picked out Harry Jessop in the area, who turned and shot. However, the Hartlepool goalkeeper made a fine save and superbly tipped the ball behind for a corner. 

From the resulting set-play, Oliver Lobley rose highest in the box, but his header went just wide of the mark. 

Ten minutes later, the Iron surged forward again in search of the opening goal. Jessop broke free down the left flank and crossed for Levi Gallimore, but the attacker's header rolled inches wide of the target. 

With 15 minutes to go before the break, Dan Gallimore gathered possession on the edge of the area, shifted the ball onto his right-foot and fizzed in a shot which stung the palms of the goalkeeper. However, the 'keeper was up to the challenge to made a strong save to parry the effort clear.

Then, seconds later, Harltepool stole the ball from the Iron in midfield, which allowed them the chance to break away. A throughball was sent through to the striker who made a good run down the middle to latch onto the pass and he made no mistake with the finish to put the visitors 1-0 up.

The Iron didn't let the goal dishearten them and went quickly in search of an equalier, which saw them get rewarded for their efforts in the 37th minute. 

Levi Gallimore pressed high up the pitch and nipped in to steal the ball from the defender. He then drove into the area and finished nicely into the bottom corner to make it 1-1.

Hartlepool soon found themselves in the lead again on the stroke of half-time when an attacker finished emphatically to put them 2-1 up.

As the teams emerged for the second period, it was Hartlepool who looked bright. On 55 minutes, they made 3-1 when the striker turned smartly on the edge of the area and unleashed a low shot which nestled into the bottom corner of the net. 

The Iron pushed bodies forward as they tried to get back into the game, but were caught on the counter attack in the 67th minute, which allowed Hartlepool to further extend their lead. 

Towards the end of the half, the Iron created a few opportunities, but couldn't find another way through and Hartlepool went on to earn all three points.

The Iron's Under-18 side are back in action next Thursday in their final league game of the season away at Mansfield. 


Scunthorpe United: Crosher, Baker, Lobley, D.Gallimore, Barks, (Boswell, 74), Kemp, Wilson, Shrimpton, L. Gallimore, Jessop, Chadli (Silva, 54). 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account