Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:05 (UK)

15 December 2017 Venue The EBB Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:05 (UK)

Chelsea U18
4 - 0
Scunthorpe United U18
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Chelsea Under-18s 4-0 Iron Under-18s

15 December 2017

Tournament holders Chelsea defeated the Iron Under-18s 4-0 in the FA Youth Cup third round on Friday evening, although United defended resolutely throughout the evening against their top level opposition.

Only a deflected strike separated the teams for nearly 80 minutes before the holders found the extra gear to put the game out of sight.

There was a good positive start from the Iron players, who largely maintained possession in the opening minutes. United then worked the ball down the right before the cross was gathered by Cumming.

They advanced again as Train wriggled free on the left of the area but he couldn't quite squeeze in a cross as the ball was cued out of play.

With three minutes on the clock, there was pressure from James Kalu following a testing back pass from Ampadu of Chelsea that saw Cumming forced to clear for a throw.

In the sixth minute, Adam Kelsey was drawn into his first save of the match as Callum Hudson-Odoi found space on the edge of the area to shoot from 20 yards out, with the Iron 'keeper down well to save the effort.

Chelsea then took the lead on eight minutes, as a left-winged cross was cleared only as far as Hudson-Odoi, who saw his volley take a wicked deflection and go into the corner of the net.

On 20 minutes, an Iron counter-attack saw a cross played to Louis Collins on the far side. He headed back across goal, but David Allasan couldn't get on the edge of it as the ball was cleared.

Three minutes later, there was almost a chance for the Iron as Kyle Porter stole possession and threaded through for Collins, who controlled and but for a terrific challenge from Ampadu, was poised to shoot. 

In the 28th minute, Hudson-Odoi controlled neatly on the edge of the Iron penalty area before lashing an effort across goal and wide of the target.

The hosts continued to press and, on the stroke of half-time, there was another save for Kelsey, this time from Hudson-Odoi's free kick. He curled over the wall, but the Iron keeper was there to save. Then, Taylor-Crossdale latched onto a cutback but his effort was wayward.

Into the second-half, United continued to defend brilliantly. In the 52nd minute, there was a superb sliding block from Kane Bartholomew as McEachran edged onto his left foot and curled an effort goalwards. The follow-up moments later cleared the target.

Two minutes later, there was a further fine save from Kelsey as Hudson-Odoi danced into the penalty area before firing an effort low, which the Iron 'keeper did well to save with his feet.

Then, there was more tremendous defending from the Iron as one shot was blocked before Sam Lilley headed wide a goal bound effort from Gilmour. 

In the 64th minute, there was a golden opportunity for a second for Chelsea as Hudson-Odoi broke down the right and into the area. He cut back for Gilmour, who somehow sent his effort over the bar. 

Substitute Charlie Brown got straight into action as he steered a shot wide of the post following a square ball from James. Kelsey looked to have it covered though. 

There was then a goal disallowed for the hosts. Hudson-Odoi produced a fine save from Kelsey down to his right following a shot from 20 yards, but the ball dropped for Brown, who steered the ball home. 

On 70 minutes, there was a tremendous last ditch tackle from Lilley as the trigger was about to be pulled from eight yards. He slid in to clear the ball from danger. 

Then, there was more heroic defending from the Iron as a left-winged square ball was touched out by Morfoot as far as James, who shot first time, with Bartholomew on the line to head away.

In the 78th minute, the hosts finally got past Kelsey for a second time. The square ball came in from the right, Hudson-Odoi controlled and smashed into the roof of the net.

Moments later, there was more brilliant defending from Lilley as he got in the way of a goal bound effort following an effort on the edge of the area.

McEchran made it three for Chelsea in the 83rd minute. It was a well-placed finish, as he slotted into the bottom right hand corner, leaving Kelsey with no chance.

Chelsea made it four on 87 minutes, as Faustino Anjorin stole in on a short back pass to slot home as Kelsey emerged to close the angle.

Scunthorpe pressed late on and threatened from a left-wing free-kick that was sent into the back post, but it was the hosts who eventually emerged victorious and who progress into the fourth round.

Chelsea: Cumming, James, Guehi, Ampadu, Castillo, Gallagher, Uwakwe (Brown, 66’), Gilmour, Taylor-Crossdale (Anjorin, 66’), McEachran (Redan, 85’), Hudson-Odoi.
Substitutes not used: Panzo, Bulka.

Scunthorpe United: Kelsey, Pugh, Bartholomew, Hornshaw, Lilley, Morfoot, Allasan (Okafor, 76’), Porter (Busby, 50’), Collins, Kalu (Ablett, 65’), Train.
Substitutes not used: Riches, Harrison.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account