Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

21 October 2023 Venue Swansway Chester Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Chester FC
2 - 0
Scunthorpe United
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview: Chester (A)

20 October 2023

Following two weeks without a fixture, the Iron return to the road to face Chester in the Vanarama National League North (3pm kick-off).

United's last game was a fortnight ago when the side beat Brackley Town 1-0 in front of over 5,000 spectators at Glanford Park.


Tickets are sold out for the fixture.


Jimmy Dean (click here to read | click here to watch on Iron Player).

Richie Bennett (click here to read | click here to watch on Iron Player).


Progress is being made on the treatment table as a number of players near a return to contention following extended time on the sidelines.

Both Michael Clunan and Maxim Kouogun are expected to resume full training next week, while Alfie Beestin looks set to follow suit the week after.

Jason Law is back in full training and will be part of the travelling contingent, while Callum Roberts is back on grass running.


Chester are currently 16th in the table with 14 points from their 11 games so far. Their home form has been their most positive aspect of their season so far, winning four and drawing one of their six games.

A capacity restriction is in place on their stadium, resulting in a total crowd of just over 3,000. The Iron sold out their 450 tickets in just a couple of hours.

United are likely to come up against former midfielder Elliott Whitehouse who spent time at Scunthorpe last season, making a total of 19 appearances.

For more information on our hosts, click here.


The referee will be William Davis, while Matthew Malton and William Vaughan are his two assistants. There is no fourth official at this level.


Not all fixtures are available for streaming. Some geographical restrictions apply. Please visit our Packages to see what's available in your region.

For those games that are streamed, to help the Iron profit, you need to nominate 'Scunthorpe United' as your club in the sign-up process.

For a full set of FAQs, please click here.


Our full record against Chorley is as follows:


(including Chester City)

LEAGUE 19 13 14
CUP 1 0 0
TOTAL 20 13 14

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Chester 2-0 Iron

21 October 2023

The Iron were defeated 2-0 away from home against a well drilled and in-form Chester FC team.

After an extended two-week break Jimmy Dean’s Iron squad were back on the road at the Leap76 Stadium in what would the first meeting between United and Chester since the Seals reformation in 2010. 

For his first game back in a stadium since a recent back operation, Dean made one change to the starting XI from two weeks prior when Scunthorpe triumphed with a 1-0 win over Brackley. Ross Barrows made a return to United’s defence in place of Cameron Wilson, signifying a change in shape for the Iron against a formidable home outfit.

Following a change of ends, the Seals got the game under way through captain George Glendon. The games intensity and tone were set from the off as inform striker Danny Elliott was inches away from latching onto a Tyler Denton lofted pass down the left flank, despite having the pace to get passed former Bolton Wanderers defender Liam Edwards he was marginally beaten to the ball by goalkeeper Wyll Stanway, who comfortably cleared the ball for a throw.

A recurring theme of misplaced passes occupied the game’s opening stages. The heavy rainfall leading up to kick-off appeared to be playing part despite the glistening skies at Chester as the slippery surface meant that neither side was able to take control of the possession. 

Following Elliot’s early chance, he seemed to have sustained an injury, this forced the Iron into an early change as he was replaced by top goal scorer Danny Whitehall. The substitution provided United with another attacking outlet and this newly added attacking height was looking to be utilised by United as a flurry of crosses ensued but to no avail.

With an opener looming, it was believed to be found through Scunthorpe captain Andrew Boyce who expertly met a Jacob Butterfield cross, providing a clinical touch to take the ball past Stanway and into the net. The travelling Iron faithful’s celebrations were cut short by the assistant referee’s outstretched flag. 

Soon after the disallowed goal, United went close again, this time through Butterfield who went inches away from repeating his magnificent free-kick goal against Brackley, but this time was his brilliant looping effort was denied by the crossbar, much to the relief of a well beaten Stanway.

In a game controlled by the Iron, it was the hosts against the run of play that found the encounter's first goal. Promising attacking threat Charlie Caton reacted first to a loose Jack Jenkins back pass and slipped the ball around the onrushing Ross Fitzsimons in goal, before tapping the ball into an open goal to give the Seals an advantage with 10 minutes of the first half still to play.

As the half’s end drew nearer, the hosts seemed intent on building upon their lead, sending multiple long ranged efforts hurtling towards Fitzsimons who caught them comfortably under no real pressure. Despite the home side possessing the lead, the Iron were by no means out of the game, still creating numerous half chances including an acrobatic effort from Richie Bennett on the stroke of half time that stung the palms of Stanway between the posts.

As referee William Davis’ whistle sounded to begin the second half, the Iron were left with a mountain to climb against a side that had only lost once at home all season. The hosts started the brighter as they looked to add to the lead they’d amassed so far in the proceedings. 

With five minutes played, the home side came mere inches away from doubling their lead through substitute and debutant Tom Peers. Peers broke away from Will Evans who shied away from any form of backtracking challenge given his first half booking, the shot was low driven, but pulled well wide of Fitzsimons’s target.

While Scunthorpe saw a goal disallowed in the first period of play, it was now the Seals' turn as the flag was raised to deny Peers his debut goal due to him being narrowly offside whilst tapping the ball home on a rebound.

Scunthorpe’s misplaced passes were tallying up, and the Iron would be punished as a result. Former Scunthorpe midfielder Elliott Whitehouse broke free and devastatingly rifled an effort into the top corner of Fitzsimons’ goal, doubling the home sides lead and further fortifying Chester’s lead with 25 minutes of play remaining.

Following the second goal of the tie the referee Davis was forced to leave the field with an injury. During the next 10 minutes that ensued a plea was sounded on the tannoy for a qualified referee that was answered by a spectator within the Leap76 Stadium meaning that play could continue.

After the change in officiating personal the game slowly ebbed away with neither side creating a great deal of chances meaning the Iron were condemned to only their third league defeat of the season after being comfortably seen off 2-0 on the Welsh border.

IRON: Fitzsimons, Ogle, Evans, Boyce, Elliott (Whitehall, 10), Bennett (Wilson, 61), Butterfield, Scales, Jenkins, Denton, Barrows (Law, 84).

IRON SUBS: Kelly, Pugh.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account