Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:30 (UK)

11 July 2023 Venue West Street Attendance 1,621 Referee Shemakay Own

Kick off 19:30 (UK)

Winterton Rangers
1 - 0
Scunthorpe United
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Match Previews

Preview: Winterton Rangers (A)

11 July 2023

The Iron return to action for their second game of pre-season on Tuesday night when they travel to face Northern Premier League East Division side Winterton Rangers (7.30pm kick-off).

Jimmy Dean takes his side to West Street following a 2-2 draw against Brigg Town CIC on Saturday in which Cameron Wilson and Danny Elliott netted for Scunthorpe.

It was a game in which 21 players featured, with Kian Scales playing 83 minutes at right back. The first half team completed 45 minutes, while the 10 chances at the interval got 38 minutes of action before play was curtailed early following a medical emergency in the crowd.

The opening game saw Reagan Ogle, Tom Pugh, Dean Rance, Dion Sembie-Ferris all missing out through respective injuries.

United's first team head to the village to play the side for the first time since 2019 when Kevin van Veen (three) and Olufela Olomola (two) were among the scorers in an 6-1 win. Since then, our academy side did face Winterton last season, losing 5-2.

The referee on this occasion is Shemakay Own, with the assistants Matthew Maddison and James Day.

Admission will be available on the turnstile, costing £6 for adults, £4 for concessions and £1 for under-16s.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Winterton Rangers 1-0 Iron

12 July 2023

United were beaten by a goal to nil in their second pre-season friendly this year away at the MKM Stadium against Winterton Rangers.

The Iron made four changes to the team who drew 2-2 away at the Hawthorns on Saturday, with Ross Barrows, Michael Kelly, Danny Elliott and Jacob Butterfield coming into the starting XI. 

United started the game on the front foot with their first chance coming inside the first minute through Elliott, who put his free header over the top of the crossbar. The Iron would continue on the front foot for the first ten minutes and when Elliott, involved again, played through Whitehall who was one-on-one with the ‘keeper and sent him the wrong way, however he dragged his shot past the left hand post.

After this spell of chances the home side grew into the game, forcing Ross Fitzsimons into a comfortable save after 11 minutes. The Iron ‘keeper would have to make another important stop with 22 minutes on the clock, saving the ball at his near post after a snap shot from the Winterton player.

The remainder of the half fizzled out with little quality on the pitch at all, a couple of corners for either side, none of which were taken advantage of and a shot each which didn’t trouble either goalkeeper.

The Iron start the second half as they began the first, on the front foot, with another chance coming to Danny Whitehall who hooked his shot wide of the post, not troubling the goalkeeper. Winterton almost went up the other end and punished United for their missed opportunity however commanding goalkeeping from Fitzsimons kept them at bay. 

Scunthorpe went on and had a good spell of possession and chances, the first coming through Kian Scales, who tried his luck from range but to no avail as his powerful strike was well wide of the target. The next chance came Roberts who showed his class dancing past the Winterton defenders before taking a shot on, however it was well saved down low by the ‘keeper. 

With an hour on the clock and nothing between the sides, Fitzsimons made a crucial save after being quick off his line to get a hand to the Winterton striker’s effort from the edge of the box, it looked destined to be a goal. 

A couple of minutes later the Iron made eight substitutions with Aaron Chapman, Andrew Boyce, Tyler Denton, Jason Law, Fin Shrimpton, Dean Rance, Cameron Wilson and Alfie Beestin all coming on replacing, Fitzsimons, Will Evans, Michael Clunan, Jacob Butterfield, Callum Roberts, Ross Barrows, Michael Kelly and Whitehall. 

The hosts would get their reward for their pressure and intensity with 64 minutes played when a miss hit cross from Sam Aynsley found it’s way over Chapman into the far corner. 

After this goal it was one-way traffic going towards the Winterton goal. Firstly, Kian Scales tried his luck from the edge of the box, however his shot was dragged just wide of the post with the ‘keeper looking comfortable. With 73 minutes played the Iron appealed for a penalty as the ball appeared to strike the Winterton player’s arm, however the referee was quick to turn it down. 

With time ticking away and only 10 minutes left to play, striker Elliott would try his luck from just inside the area, but a poor connection on the shot meant another easy save for the ‘keeper. 

The last chance of the game would fall to United after a good spell of possession in and around the Winterton half, The Iron managed to form an opening and after the ball was pulled back to Elliott, but he couldn’t get the ball out of his feet quickly enough and the shot was eventually blocked by the Winterton players throwing their bodies on the line to keep their goal lead in tact. 

The attendance at the MKM stadium was 1,621, which is a record attendance for Winterton Rangers.

IRON: Fitsimons (Chapman, 62), Barrows (Law, 62), Kouogun, Evans (Boyce, 62), Kelly (Denton, 62), Roberts (Beestin, 62), Clunan (Shrimpton, 62), Scales, Butterfield (Rance, 62), Elliott, Whitehall (Wilson, 62).

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account