Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-1 Curzon Ashton

10 February 2024

Match Reports

Report: Iron 0-1 Curzon Ashton

10 February 2024

A first half header from Curzon Ashton striker Jimmy Spencer proved too much for Scunthorpe as they fell to a 1-0 defeat.

The Iron were back in front of the Attis Arena faithful ready to face play-off hunters Curzon Ashton as Jimmy Dean’s side were looking to quickly move on from Tuesday nights heart breaking 1-1 draw at Blyth Spartans. 

In terms of team news, Dean made one change to the side from midweek with creative conductor Jacob Butterfield being inducted into the side in order to replace workhorse midfielder Tom Pugh, who dropped down to the bench.

Butterfield got the game underway from the centre kick, with the Iron looking to set an immediate tone for the fixture with a number of fast paced attacks, forcing the visitors to make numerous tactical fouls in order to put a stop to the promising attacks.

The first notable chance of the half was awarded to the hosts as patient build-up allowed the ball to find Butterfield who teed the ball up with first touch before sending an ambitious trademark effort that sawed towards goalkeeper Cameron Mason before dipping into the keepers welcoming grasp.

A positive start from Scunthorpe was just short of an opener and when Danny Elliott received the ball in a promising position, the in-form frontman unlocked the Curzon defence with a curling effort that failed to test Mason as the ball dropped slightly wide of the target.

Next it was top goal scorer Danny Whitehall to try his luck at finding the first goal of the encounter. A long-lofted ball superbly found the perfectly timed run of Dion Sembie-Ferris, who managed to slide the ball into the path of Whitehall. His low-driven shot stung the gloves of Mason, with the rebound being sent wide of the target.

Prior to the break all of United’s hard work was swiftly undone as Nash were able to forge an equaliser from seemingly nowhere. A deep clipped free-kick was met first by former Scunthorpe striker Spencer who saw his flicked header sweep over Fitzsimons and into the far corner to make it 1-0.

The sides emerged from the tunnel ahead of the second period with United seeming hard done by following a dominant first 45 that saw them still down by one goal that came against the run of play.

Despite the Iron progressing up the pitch throughout the second half, the Scunthorpe fans were made to wait until the 73rd minute before they could see a notable opportunity. After a succession of excellent interplay down the right-flank right back Reagan Ogle was able to swing a delightful cross into the box that was won by Elliott who managed to direct the ball into the path of Whitehall who sent his golden opportunity from close range spiralling over the bar.

With additional time fast approaching United threw another hopeful roll of the dice as a desperate cross that reached a Scunthorpe head cannonballed towards goal hence forcing a fine diving save out of Mason who dived onto the ball before Sembie-Ferris who was seemingly hauled to the floor could follow into score.

With that the game came to a close following referee Elliot Bell’s final whistle as United were condemned to another defeat that sees them fall twelve points behind league leaders Tamworth.

IRON: Fitzsimons, Ogle, Kelly (Denton, 74), Kouogun, Evans, Clunan, Elliott, Butterfield, Scales (Wilson, 67), Sembie-Ferris, Whitehall (Beestin, 74).

IRON SUBS: Boyce, Pugh.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account