Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Appleby Frodingham 1-0 Iron Under-18s

28 July 2023

Match Reports

Report: Appleby Frodingham 1-0 Iron Under-18s

28 July 2023

The Iron's Under-18s visited Appleby Frodingham on Friday night to prepare for their Youth Alliance campaign.

The hosts got the game underway and immediately they launched the ball forward. However, United were alive to the early danger and they dealt with the situation.

Appleby started the brightest and were putting the Iron under a lot of pressure. They won themselves a free kick in a dangerous area; it was crossed into the box but Tom Pugh read the danger and headed away.

A few minutes later, the hosts struck the bar. A cross went all the way through to the back post and was met by their number 10. He struck it in the half volley and it looked to be heading in. However, the direction was slightly off and it hit the bar.

In the 12th minute, the home side took the lead. A ball into the area found its way to the back post, the hosts won the header and powered the ball into the top corner. 

Both sides struggled to retain the ball and it turned into a scrappy encounter. The majority of the play was taking place in the centre of the park.

In the 28th minute, the hosts broke forward once more and they managed another shot on goal. The ball found an Appleby Frodingham player on the edge of the penalty area and he took the shot on first time. He drilled his effort along the ground, towards the bottom right corner. However, he dragged his shot well wide of the target.

United responded and won a free kick in a dangerous area. Pugh drilled the ball into the area and it was met by an Iron player. The ball was directed goal ward but the shot was blocked quickly. It was Iron’s first real opportunity.

In the 32nd minute, the home side struck the bar once more. A cross into the area was mishit and this made it head directly for the target. It looped up into the air and hit the top of the crossbar. It was another warning side for United.

Soon after, Frodingham slotted a ball through the United defence and were through on goal again. It was a one-on-one situation and the attacker was clear favourite in the situation. However, the United number one made himself as big as possible and made a spectacular save to deny the hosts a second goal.

The Iron got the second half underway; they were looking to respond after a difficult half for them.

The hosts created a chance almost immediately. A long ball beat the United defence and set the App Frod skipper free. He took it round the goalkeeper and it looked to be a certain goal. However, the Iron got back quickly and an important challenge was made to prevent the hosts grabbing a second goal

Pugh created a great chance minutes later. He spotted an Iron player rushing into the penalty area and he slotted the ball through. He was clean through on goal. However, a defender rushed back and made an excellent last ditch tackle to prevent an Iron equaliser.

App Frod responded well and had several good opportunities themselves. They hit the bar for a third time after a shot was launched from the edge of the area.

United kept getting into good positions but the final ball wasn’t there and chances kept being wasted.

Later in the half, United won themselves a free kick in the wide area. Immediately, they put it into the box but the hosts were the first to win the challenge and clear the danger.

The hosts were managing the lead well and United couldn’t creat any significant chances.

In the closing stages, the home side hit the woodwork again. A shot from the edge of the area was drilled along the ground. It had the power to find the net but not the direction. They were inches away from extending their lead.

That was the last real action of the game and the hosts came away with the win.

IRON: Murtagh, Hill, Barrows, Cunningham, Williams, Burden-Whittleton, Pugh, Dickinson, Wallace, Larkin, Harmon.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account