Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 4-1 Scarborough Athletic

28 August 2023

Match Reports

Report: Iron 4-1 Scarborough Athletic

28 August 2023

United beat Scarborough 4-1 to claim all three points on Bank Holiday Monday.

United came into the game having made two changes from Saturday’s game. Danny Elliott
and Cameron Wilson replaced Dion Sembie-Ferris and Michael Kelly.

Jacob Butterfield got the game underway and immediately the Iron got themselves forward;
the ball found its way into the box and Danny Whitehall tried to challenge for the ball but was brought down in the process. There were penalty shouts from the home fans but the referee waved play on.

The first big chance of the game fell to Wilson. The Iron winger found himself with time and
space on the edge of the Scarborough penalty area. He took on the shot but his effort didn’t
have the direction to beat Cracknell and It was a fairly straightforward save for him to make.
In the early stages, the Iron were dominating the ball and they had the visitors pinned back
in their own half.

United made their dominance count and in the 18th minute they took the lead. Finley Shrimpton picked up the ball and decided to drive at the Scarborough defence. He managed to beat his defender with ease and this created a lot of space for him inside the area. The Iron midfielder had time to pick his spot and he simply slotted the ball into the bottom-right corner. There was nothing Cracknell could do about it.

In the 25th minute, the visitors got their first real chance of the game. The ball was worked out to the right-hand flank and then directed into the area. Alexander Brown was rushing in and he managed to get his head to the ball first. From six-yards-out he should have really found the back of the net but his header was weak and it was an easy save for Ross Fitzsimons to make.

Butterfield was the next player to try their luck on goal. He found himself around 25-yards-out from goal with a lot of space. The shot was driven along the ground and it looked to be heading into the back of the net. However, it went just wide of the target.

Several minutes later, the Iron extended their lead through Wilson. He picked up the ball and decided to take on his defender. Wilson chose to cut inside and take the shot on with his left foot. The strike was brilliant and it rifled into the top-left corner. It was an unstoppable effort. This gave United breathing space in the game.

The hosts continued their dominance and created several more chances. Elliott had a good
chance to grab the third goal for the Iron. He drove at the heart of the Scarborough defence
before unleashing a powerful effort. It has the power to beat the goalkeeper. However, the
trajectory was taking the ball wide of the target.

The visitors got the second half underway. They were looking to bounce back after a difficult
first half for them.

Just minutes into the half, there is a big decision for the referee to make. A long ball is played over the top of the Scarborough defence and Whitehall was through on goal.

However, before he can reach the ball he is brought down. The referee waved play on; United fans believed that this could’ve been a red card offence.

In the 59th minute, United won a penalty. Butterfield picked the ball up on the flank and powered a cross into the box, along the floor. Whitehall stepped over the ball and allowed
Scales to come onto it. The Iron midfielder took a touch past a defender and he was brought down. The referee immediately pointed to the spot.

Elliott was the player to step up and he was ice-cool. He waited for the goalkeeper to move before he chose what side to place his penalty. The keeper moved left so he directed the ball into the bottom-right corner. United were cruising to the three points.

In the 72nd minute, the Iron extended their lead once more; Elliott beat Cracknell to the ball
and he managed to chip the ball over the goalkeeper. His effort was crawling towards the
target and it hit the upright. However, the ball rebounded, hit a defender and ended up in the back of the net.

The next few minutes contained a lot of action. Two minutes later, the away side grabbed a
goal back. It was a great freekick from Lewis Maloney. From the edge of the area, he lifted the ball over the wall and in the corner of the net. Fitzsimons was routed to the spot.

The visitors kept trying to get forward but everytime they were met with strong Scunthorpe resistance. They just could not find a way through.

The referee blew his whistle for the final time to round up a great afternoon for the Iron.

IRON: Fitzsimons, Ogle, Kouogun, Evans, Elliott, Wilson, Butterfield (83’, Boyce), Scales,
Shrimpton, Denton (68’, Kelly), Whitehall (68’, Sembie-Ferris).

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Chapman, Pugh.

SCARBOROUGH ATHLETIC: Cracknell, Weledji (74’, Jackson), Maloney, Thornton, Gooda,
Purva, Mulhern, Colville, Tear (46’, Marshall), Durose (46’, Coulson), Brown.


ATTENDANCE: 4,860 (640 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account