Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Curzon Ashton 1-0 Iron

26 August 2023

Match Reports

Report: Curzon Ashton 1-0 Iron

26 August 2023

The Iron were edged out, losing their first game of the season, away at Curzon Ashton.

Due to injuries to Iron captain Michael Clunan and in-form midfielder Alfie Beestin, manager Jimmy Dean was forced to make changes in the form of winger Dion Sembie-Ferris, academy graduate Finley Shrimpton and left-back Michael Kelly who came in to make his first start in claret and blue.

Going into the game nine unbeaten, including pre-season, Dean was looking to take this momentum into the game that he has stated the importance of on many occasions so far this campaign. 

After a change of ends, captain for the day Jacob Butterfield kicked off the proceedings at the Tameside Stadium. It was the Iron who forged the first chance of the fixture, after some patient build up play the ball found summer signing Kian Scales just inside the area with space to shoot, but he took just too long to compose himself as his effort was tamed by a good block.

The deadlock was broken in the 18th minute by the home side against the run of play. The hosts capitalised on a loose ball down the left flank, with the dangerous low cross that followed was met by Curzon captain Craig Mahon who turned the ball home to make it 1-0.

United went in search of an immediate reply and one was inches away from being found through an unlikely face. Centre-back Will Evans picked up the ball just inside the host's half, his shot was well struck but it went just wide of the post.

After the goal, the Iron began to assert dominance over the tie and came close to finding the equaliser once more. Butterfield found space on the edge of the Nash penalty area, he drove at the defence before unleashing a rocket towards the top left corner only to see it tipped away by Curzon goalkeeper Cameron Mason. The resulting corner was whipped hard and low across the box and was met by Danny Whitehall, but the ball rebounded of his shin and trickled wide.

As half-time approached, the Iron looked the more likely to attain the next goal in the game. Butterfield was ever busy tormenting defences and his shot from range in added time seemed to be nestling in the bottom corner, but it was brilliantly stopped by the fingertips of Mason to preserve the home side's lead going into the break.

As the second half commenced the Iron started the brighter of the two sides. Some impressive interchanges between Sembie-Ferris and Shrimpton led to Scales receiving the ball on the edge of the area. His first-time effort was struck well, but comfortably caught by Mason.

Dean called to his bench for attacking reinforcements bringing on Danny Elliott and Cameron Wilson with 30 minutes remaining, and these changes seemed to be positive ones as it was Elliott’s turn to see his shot drop just wide of the target after he worked room on the edge of the area.

With 15 minutes remaining, the Iron came the closest they had to levelling the score so far as Mason was forced into making a superb save after Shrimpton found himself open at the back post.

Despite the torrential rain and hail, the Iron were still controlling proceedings and after Pugh was brought down on the edge of the area Whitehall stood over the following free kick. He whipped the ball around the wall, but was denied by again by Mason. Less than a minute later, Elliott rose highest to meet a delicious cross from Denton but his header rebounded back off the crossbar before being cleared.

The referee sounded his whistle after the six minutes of additional time to seal the Iron's fate at the Tameside Stadium in what was the first defeat of the season.

IRON: Fitzsimons, Ogle, Kelly (Elliott, 57), Kouogun, Evans, Butterfield, Scales, Shrimpton (Pugh, 77), Sembie-Ferris (Wilson, 57), Denton, Whitehall.

IRON SUBS: Chapman, Boyce.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account